Anyone order from Welp Hatchery?

ging3rhoffman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
I am about to order from Welp Hatchery and I needed to know if they are a good hatchery. I live in Ohio and they ship out of New mexico. Is that just way to far away and to hard on the chicks? No local hatchery's have the welsummer hens that I want. They will ship on June 8th. Do they have a good percentage on the sexing? Please help me decide. Thanks

Last edited:
I ordered from Welp last year and had a positive experience. I am in Maine and had 0 losses. I ordered 20 cornish rocks, and 5 hatchery choice cochins. I actually ordered straight run, but they shipped all pullets. (it was noted that way on the box, not an accident)

I still have 3 of those cochins, and while they are not show birds, they are nice gentle birds. All three of them went broody on me this spring.

I have an order in with them now. It was supposed to be shipped yesterday, and may have been. If so, there hasn't been any communication. In today's age of computers, I would have expected a tracking number or shipping confirmation, or a notice that it didn't ship if it didn't. I'm a bit disappointed that they are keeping me in the dark. Not the best way to transact business when dealing with live animals.

I'll post a follow up when the chicks arrive.

I will tell you that my order was delayed last year and they called me and asked what I wanted to do. No news is good news with most hatcheries. If you do not hear from them, expect your chicks around the ship date.

bought 25 last year and am 100% satisfied .............. good chicks grew into good layers ........... they layed all winter !!! ....... I had lights in the coop ............. I would definitely buy again !!!

Well, I said I'd post a follow up.

My chicks came in this morning. It was a two day trip and the weather was moderate. They arrived in great shape and immediately drank and ate. They are very active and healthy looking.

I handled each one and they appear to be without deformities. They are very bold and not at all skittish. Welp even went to the trouble of marking the cockerals with some blue dye.

Welp did a great job, though I still don't know why any company wouldn't take advantage of the easy-to-do email confirmation that the postal service gives at no cost. Not only that, but Welp would save postage by processing the postage off their computer. It just surprises me that they are in the stone-age in regards to customer communication.

30 Delawares....
delaware1.jpg

My order shipped on the date scheduled. They were postmarked on Monday and did not show up until Friday.
sad.png

The replacements for the ones that died came a week early, were 4 full days in transit, were the incorrect breed and were all extremely weak and dying (earlier ones in better shape) The incorrect chicks were a smaller, almost bantam breed and seemed very cold. It may have been simply not enough chicks to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom