Anyone ordered chickens from this place?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mommas chickens, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Has anyone ordered chickens from chickens for backyards.com? I read really good reviews on there site but wanted to ask you guys? My brother wants to get a few chicks(Im rubbing off on everyone [​IMG] ) and I may possibly order a few more easter eggers for myself but just wanted to see about them before I order. Thanks~

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    They are a broker. They get the chicks from different hatcherys. You can get them for less if you order from the actual hatchery they the chicks from like Ideal and I theres others but not sure.
    So if you buy from them you are paying way more than you could of.

3. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    You can get smaller numbers though...at an astronomical shipping rate [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. mommas chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Phew I just checked and the shipping rate is steep!! Does anyone have suggestions for me to give him on were he can order a small number of chicks for a not so crazy price?

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Craigslist, farm and garden section - I found my favorite large fowl egg-laying breeder there

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Come to El Dorado county in California. I have started pullets and cockerels (mixed breeds) for sale. I've got straight-run mixed mottled java chicks for sale. Come get 'em.

7. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:How many are you wanting to get? I know Cackle, Ideal, and Meyer Hatchery have the small chick orders and they hatch the chicks.

8. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:There you go! I would rather buy from a fellow BYC'er than a hatchery any day!

9. mommas chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    He is looking to order around 5 and I was gonna add in 3 easter eggers. I would love to be able to drive there and get chickens from someone I can trust Im just out here in the sticks and everyone close enough doesnt have any extras and the feed store only carries them for a few weeks so Ive missed my chance for the year.

10. mommas chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Ok so for small order he found Meyer Hatchery in Ohio are they good does anyone know?? Please advise! Thanks~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by