1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone ordered from Purely Poultry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by bantamsrus, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    They have a certain color of bantam cochin that I want but I don't know anything about them---any of you have any experience with them? At least they are just the next state over from me.

2. bantamsrus

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    Anyone?

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I will try to help a bit.

I have not ordered from them. The one thing we know about Purely Poultry is that he is a broker of chicks. He does not own a hatchery or a breeding farm. He is a student and does this as a sideline. Or perhaps it is the other way around. He takes your order and sends it on to a number of hatcheries that he works with. I am not sure that you have any assurance that the state the business hails from is the state from which your chicks will ship

If that works for you, then you can make your own decision. Many folks feel more comfortable ordering from the folks that raise and hatch the birds.

He also views his business as an integral part of a christian ministry. That resonates with some folks and less so with others.

4. bantamsrus

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    Thanks!

5. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Just wanted to add that it is not unusual for a business to broker chicks. My Pet Chicken is very popular and that is what they do. Even hatcheries will sometimes get additional chicks they need from other hatcheries.

I've not used Purely Poultry myself. I just didn't want it to sound like he was doing something wrong.

6. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I was not implying that there is anything wrong with drop shipment merely trying to answser a question. I think there is a fairly strong consensus on this board that many would prefer the birds coming from the company they order from.

Thats all

7. bantamsrus

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    I'm just trying to get birds from a few different lines--so if he's pooling from the different hatcheries that I already have chicks from--then his particular operation is not helpful in my situation. Thanks for the info!

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:This sort of thing amazes me.... Why I wonder?

9. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    A topic amazing enough and controverisal enough to get a thread closed down some time ago. ummm ummm mmm. It was fun though.

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I ordered a small group from PP. Shipping is due in about two weeks. So far so good.

Tammie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by