Anyone out there that's good with math/angles?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Haunted Chicken, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm not sure If I should laugh or cry. I give up!

My DH and I can't remember how to figure this out. If I have two 4x4's that are 11 feet apart. One is 7.5' tall and on is 6.5' tall. What angle do I need to cut the tops so a beam can rest on top? And then what angle does the 2x4's (roof supports) spanning the gap need to be cut at?

[​IMG] I'm really hoping someone out there can help this math impaired person [​IMG] Thank you

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's a great coop design. I cheat, just hold a board in place and mark the cutting line with a pencil. Of course you can make a template and have the angle ready to go for the rest.

3. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:lol, That's what I keep saying we should do. As soon as I gave up, it hit us how to do it. I think..... If not I'm using your idea:D Thanks for confirming it's acceptable.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It rises 1 foot in 11 feet, or 1.09 inches per foot. Use your framing square to set the angles. 1.1" on one leg of the square and 12" on the other.

5. Haunted Chicken

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:THANKS!!! We had to laugh when it ended up so obvious and easy. Just one of those mornings where the ole brain was on a break I guess lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by