Anyone Out There Using Pinless Peepers????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Aug 25, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there. I have 2 of 4, 6 month old Australorp girls that have become what I think is evil. They are not only terrorizing their other 2 sisters to the point of them hiding, but these 2 aggressive girls have taken to biting me and hard, even drawing blood. (And no, the are not roosters as they have just began laying their first eggs).

So, the other day the Pinless Peepers that I had ordered had come in, but I was waiting till I had had enough of these two girls before I put them on them. Well, today at 10am was that magical day! I had no one around to help me, so I rolled one of them up in a towel on my lap, and applied the peepers to the bird. Then caught the other evil monster and did the same.

Well, these girls are miserable. They won't eat, drink, can't walk really well and it has been 6 hours. They are sitting in a piece of shade completely depressed, sleeping. I tried offering them treats, but they haven't figured out how to see well enough to get the treats. And so of course I feel sorry for them, where only this morning I was ready to send them to the freezer.

I have to say that I am completely discouraged about raising chickens. This is my first year at this and thought that my 4 2 day old fuzzy Australorp girls were going to bring happiness to my life, but the disharmony that goes on out in the chicken yard is too much for me. My other 2 girls, the sweet ones love to sit on my lap, but lately can not because of these evil monsters. These lower ranking birds are so afraid of these girls, and I don't blame them. And as for me, I am tired of dancing around them trying not to being bitten when I touch one of the other girls, or reach down around these evil girls. I have scabs on my hands from being bitten so hard. Needless to say, I am depressed about the entire thing. So I thought I would try these peepers as a last resort to rehoming these girls. And now I am here worrying over them because they are uncomfortable out there.

So my question is, how long does it take to adjust to these peepers? It is ripping hot outside and I am not sure either of them have taken a drink of water. They having been picking around, but not eating much today. Will they get used to these things? How long does it take? And will it even make a difference in their personalities or am I putting them thru a lot for nothing.

Thanks...Leyla

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I am a fan of pinless peepers. I have a mixed flock of 27 (14 different breeds) and plenty of run space, but have realized that at night in the coop the ladies on the lower roosts are picking the butt feathers out of the ladies in the high-rent seats. No blood drawn, fortunately, and no pecking when outside. I found that they adjust to the peepers very quickly. Usually within minutes. I suspect that your chickens behavior may be more due to heat than the peepers - Hang in there! The peepers may solve your problem yet.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:I have always believed that their crankiness was heat related as they are very cordial to each other early morning or when they are not cramped in the shade during the heat of the day. I am hoping that they will calm down come fall and winter. Our winters can get near zero during January and February nights and they are going to need each others company.

As far as the peepers, they are getting along, although my top girl is one unhappy camper!

Thanks for your information and this gives me some confidence. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by