Anyone own an ADULT cornish X's ? about my CX cockerel's comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gritsar, Sep 28, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know it's going to be hard to get an answer to this question, since most folks don't raise CXs past 8 or 9 weeks. Something is going on with my CX cockerel Ollie's comb that I'm curious about.
    Ollie's comb is extra large and falls across his face at the front. He's pretty dang healthy and active for a 14 lb., sixteen, almost seventeen week old cockerel.
    Since the weather turned cooler last week I've noticed that at times the tips and back of Ollie's comb turns a dusky gray color; usually in the cool mornings and later in the evening. During the warmth of midday it's fine, red and glossy.
    My theory is that he's so large that his heart cannot supply enough blood to the comb and keep the rest of his body warm too.
    Does this sound reasonable?
    Ollie is living out his life here, however long or short that may be, along with the CX pullets.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I finally got some information from the commercial chicken farmer I got my rescue CX from. He said technically they are cornish Xs, but they are called Cobb on Cobbs.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yep the two main varieties of meat birds are Cobbs and Hubbards and you are right on your thinking.

As an animal's body gets colder they move blood to the core to keep the vital organs warm and working properly. Human bodies do the same.

4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My d'Uccle roos comb does the same thing. I also noticed it does it on really hot days, as well. He is in perfect health, and it always goes back to all red, so I don't worry about it.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It sounds reasonable to me. Makes sense. I also raise Cornish X's. My girls are 3 years old. People told me that they would be dead by 8 weeks old. Who knew..............[​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks y'all. I would have never considered this with my other roosters, but do you think dubbing his comb would serve any good purpose or should I just let him be? He appears and acts healthy in every other respect.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If it were me, I would just let him be. You mentioned that he appears and acts healthy in every other respect, so it sounds like he is going to be just fine. Just keep your eye on him. How old is he?

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He will be 17 weeks old tomorrow. Acts like a "normal" chicken in every way. He weighs 14 lbs. but despite his size moves around as much as my layer chicks of the same age do; albeit with a funny little waddle. Watching him attempt to dustbath is a hoot. [​IMG]
    I intend to start using vaseline on his comb when cold weather hits. I will have to do the same for my turken cockerel that has a single large comb too.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    He sounds like a big ole fella. Do you have any pics of him so we could see that handsome little man? [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by