Anyone own the Ware Chick-N-Barn? Your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by minichic, Feb 11, 2011.

1. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have possible access to a Ware Chick-N-Barn - new in box. I think with some modificiations it could work for me (adding additional roosts, floor, etc. Anyone have any experiences with this coop? It will be used for just a few birds.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    There seems to be two types. Ones made out of fir and the better ones made out of exterior grade plywood. Be sure you know what you are buying.....

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

1 word, well, make that 2=Don't bother.

They will fall a part within a year

4. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'm looking at the one made from exterior grade plywood. I would seal/stain/paint it anyway. The roofing panels appear substantial. I'm sure as my chicken-fever increases over the years, the coop will be replaced with something larger and better.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Use a really good sealer all over, otherwise I think they have issues with moisture warping them. Then they may come apart. Make sure the roof has enough protection, too, since that will get a lot of precipitation hitting it. As you put it together, just see if you think it needs any additional screws or hardware on it.

A lot of pre-fab things need a little help, to be sturdier or more weather durable. We had to tweak one of our raised beds that's made out of wood, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by