Anyone purchased Welsummer roos from Ideal? What was the quality?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jmsim93, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jmsim93

jmsim93 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    East Texas
    Seems like not many people have Welsummers?? Do any of you have any from Ideal? Wanting a Welsummer or EE roo. I will probably go with Ideal since I've used them in the past and have been happy but I would like to see any or hear your comments. Thanks! :-D

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    From what I hear birds from hatcheries are regular quality birds.. if your looking for something show worthy you would have better luck here with the people who sell chicks/hatching eggs.

[​IMG]

3. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    i did order welsummer's from ideal the hens were great but the rooster looked nothing like i thought he should have, so i culled him. here are a pic of one of my hens

[​IMG]

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    A have a welsummer pullet from Ideal. I'll try to get some pics of her for you. Sorry, no roo!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It depends on what you want in a roo.....if you want a better quality, there are a few Welsummer breeders in BYC, Yahoo sites and Facebook. There are MANY people that have Welsummers LOL! you just gotta know where to find them LOL!

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    If you want quality Welsummers you can get them from Estes Hatchery. They bought the flock from Calicowoods who had some of the best Welsummers in the country. I've gotten my from Estes and the birds are ideal in color and form and the eggs are beautiful.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Opa, show off your eggs! [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    [​IMG] The dark terra cotta and the speckled eggs are from my welsummers. The light brown are from my Australorps.

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    These are my two Welsummers from Ideal. They are 8 months old and have been laying for a week or so now. Their eggs are a pretty terracotta color like the one on the top of the pile in Opa's post. I am happy with them!

Wendy
    [​IMG]
    Willow
    [​IMG]

They have put on some weight since these pics were taken in the Summer and are nice fat, fluffy birds now!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:Heeeey, what ya doing with my eggs Opa. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by