Anyone raise chickens to feed RAW to their dogs?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Garden Gal, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm curious to know if anyone on this site is raising chickens to feed their dogs? We are going to be raising rabbits and chickens for this purpose (and us) and just wanted to know if there are any other RAW feeders?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I don't want to seem rude, but why would anybody want to feed a predator raw meat? This is a bad combination for the chickens as they have a natural instinct to kill them, feeding them raw would only add fuel to the fire. I have had wolves for years and have never fed them anything raw.

Zoos feed animals raw meat and we have all scene the consequences when people have accidentally come in contact with them.

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I feed RAW to one of my dogs. They're all seniors and though I tried the RAW diet for the whole pack, she's the only one who adapted to it. She is the allergic one, so it works out well. I don't raise her meat - I buy it. She eats about 150 chickens each year.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I don't want to seem rude, but why would anybody want to feed a predator raw meat?

Because predators evolved over millions of years to eat raw meat.​

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yep I dont want my dogs ever eating a raw bird. Like walkingwolf said it will usually make them want raw meat even, if they didnt before.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I wouldn't.

I would have concerns with bacteria etc. etc.

Also, if this is all that is fed this would not be a complete nutritional diet for a dog. We all believe canines are carnivores but they are really a omnivore. Wild canids will eat grass, berries, fruits etc.

Also when you look at this from a cost approach I believe just buying a good quality dog food will be cheaper.

7. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Hi Garden Gal! I'm a raw feeder too, and I'm also raising chickens for the dog this summer.

Scooter147, Raw is cheaper for me, because I make use of hunter friends who give me lots of free meat. I have two freezers full of nice venison right now that I didn't pay a penny for. My dogs diet is nutritionally complete, because I formulate it weekly to conform to NRC requirements. Even when I bought all my meat, it was still cheaper than the high quality dog food I used to feed.

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Actually the raw meat diet for dogs is a REALLY big thing right now. Rather than commercial dog food people are spending big $$ to feed raw meat and other veggies (I've heard of some doing a stew in large quantaties and freezing/thawing as they need it) Its not that raw meat is the only thing in the diet its just the main ingrediant usually. Its supposed to be really great for the dog. I'm too cheap [​IMG] My dogs do get the questionable meat out of our fridge (not spoiled but if I know its not going to get cooked before spoiling), but as far as feeding them our chickens, I've spent too much money on them for them to be dog food. I have to agree with what PP said about it possibly making the live chickens look much more appealing to the dog. We plan on feeding them the "leftovers" from butchering, but our dogs are only near our chickens when under supervision, so its not a problem for us. If we had dogs running the yard I would probably have to think hard about it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    knitty,

Do you add supplements? Like powder additives?

Years ago I had a Scottie that had to have cooked chicken and rice in her declining years and the vet gave me a powder to sprinkle on it.

Just curious, I love to learn new things.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by