Anyone raise heritage breeds?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Aspen47591, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I would eventually like to raise threatened heritage animals, perhaps the smaller livestock like rabbits, donkeys and goats. I would love to have the Ancient White Park cattle and the American Cream Draft horse, but those are most likely out of my league.

But I would love to hear is anyone has heritage animals!

2. BranndaidhCladdagh

BranndaidhCladdagh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    Southern Delaware
    Hello,

I have Speckled Sussex Chickens which are supposed to be a rare breed. I know you were asking about other animals besides chickens. I don't have any yet but I am looking to breed Chinchilla Rabbits and they are definitely on the rare breed list. What kind of rare breeds are you thinking of?

3. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    I had considered American Chinchilla rabbits, and perhaps one of the sheep or goat breeds.

I may also be interested in some of the ducks.

I think it would be fun and interesting to assist in helping these animals recover in population.

4. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I'm planning to do Narragansett turkeys; I'd love to do larger livestock but I only have one acre here and my Dad would have a cow if I showed up at his (much larger) acreage with larger livestock (he already fusses about my horses tho he loves them lol)

5. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:what geese and ducks are heritage?

6. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
  7. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    We are currently raising one Narragansett turkey (working on hatching more) and three Bourbon Reds (same). We have a broody hen setting some Blue Slates for us.

And all of our chickens are heritage breeds.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I really would like to buy heritage pigs and start a herd.

9. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Quote:I don't know what out of your league would be. But I know of a breeder of white park cattle who sells cow and calf pairs for 1300. I am sure shipping would kill you if you weren't close though.

I have Beltsville small white turkeys and White chantecler chickens. The BSW is considered critical and they estimate there is less than 100 in Canada(I think that estimate may be some what off though). I have 11 BSW in my yard, I find it neat to think I theoretically have 1/10th of the canadian population of these birds!

Its fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by