Anyone raise heritage breeds?

Aspen47591

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
I would eventually like to raise threatened heritage animals, perhaps the smaller livestock like rabbits, donkeys and goats. I would love to have the Ancient White Park cattle and the American Cream Draft horse, but those are most likely out of my league.

But I would love to hear is anyone has heritage animals!

Hello,

I have Speckled Sussex Chickens which are supposed to be a rare breed. I know you were asking about other animals besides chickens. I don't have any yet but I am looking to breed Chinchilla Rabbits and they are definitely on the rare breed list. What kind of rare breeds are you thinking of?

I had considered American Chinchilla rabbits, and perhaps one of the sheep or goat breeds.

I may also be interested in some of the ducks.

I think it would be fun and interesting to assist in helping these animals recover in population.

I'm planning to do Narragansett turkeys; I'd love to do larger livestock but I only have one acre here and my Dad would have a cow if I showed up at his (much larger) acreage with larger livestock (he already fusses about my horses tho he loves them lol)

We are currently raising one Narragansett turkey (working on hatching more) and three Bourbon Reds (same). We have a broody hen setting some Blue Slates for us.

And all of our chickens are heritage breeds.

Quote:
I don't know what out of your league would be. But I know of a breeder of white park cattle who sells cow and calf pairs for 1300. I am sure shipping would kill you if you weren't close though.

I have Beltsville small white turkeys and White chantecler chickens. The BSW is considered critical and they estimate there is less than 100 in Canada(I think that estimate may be some what off though). I have 11 BSW in my yard, I find it neat to think I theoretically have 1/10th of the canadian population of these birds!

Its fun!

Back
Top Bottom