Anyone raise meaties in an urban/suburban setting?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by augustmomx2, Jan 23, 2010.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I am really wanting to add some meaties (cornish x) to my March 10th order from Ideal. My dh has agreed to build me one of the 10*10 pvc tractors for them [​IMG] But after reading post after post about the smell and huge amounts of poo...I'm starting to wonder, maybe I shouldn't? [​IMG]

We live on 3/4 of an acre with a house, pole barn, shed, kids play area...so space is limited. The ability to move a tractor 2x a day is going to be impossible for my situation. So now I'm wondering, if I do go for it...how many should I get?

There is a corner area of our lot, that is kind of the compost/burn area. Dh sometimes burns twigs, brances, etc and often I put the layers' pine shavings and poo in that area and it kind of just breaks down. Right now, its a raised area with a lot of dirt & patches of grass. I'm wondering if I put the tractor over this area, with pine shavings and continue to turn it, would that be sufficient enough to keep the smell down? Kind of the deep litter idea for meaties? Of course there would be times they had access to the yard as well for grass, etc. I just can't keep it on the grass, my dh would FLIP. He already complains enough about my other chickens [​IMG]

I just want to know what I'm getting myself into! Thanks for any input [​IMG]

2. tinman9952

tinman9952 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Waterford,Maine
    How many you get should be determined by how many you are ready to butcher in two months. I tried raising some with my layers ( big mistake), eneded up getting too attached to them, predators got some, the rest died of old age (at about 6 months old if i remember correctly). I can still picture them running for treats with the other girls, reminded me of Baby Huey.

3. kenman

kenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have a 10X8 tractor that I raise meaties, ducks, turkeys, etc. in. I can put 25 meaties in it and I move it once a day. It is a similar set-up to Joel Saladin at Polyface Farms. I also live in town on 3/4 of an acre with garage and several outbuildings. By moving it everyday the manure didn't build up and their really wasn't a smell to them, that I could tell. The nice thing is that I didn't need to mow those spots for a while! I put 3 batches through it of just meat birds last year plus 26 Muscovy ducks plus 6 BBW turkeys. My first order of meat birds will be in February for this year. For me it came to this... which do I need to grow, grass or meat? I chose meat and my mantra is "I can either mow it, till it, or pasture it and I hate mowing."

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] Thats exactly what my DW calls them. Her Baby Huies!

5. Miltonchix

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    If you get them now the smell won't be as bad as getting them in August. But they do STINK. Depending on how close your neighbors are to where you are going to house them, I'd talk to them too. Maybe offer one or two for putting up with any possible stink.

6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i know a couple people who have raised them in suburban yards, i wouldn't get that many of them, maybe 10.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I raised 25 of them up and I am right outside NYC.

first 5 days was in my garage then they were moved to my outdoor shed for a few weeks. Then as soon as they were old enough I moved them to a big pen where they could free range (although they did not do much)

Then as soon as 6 weeks came I started processing 5-10 at a time, and did so for 3 weeks until they were all gone. I got a variety of sizes (I like my chooks small since it is just ds and I) from 3lbs to 5lbs or so if I remember correctly. I have 2 left so it is almost time to order more.

This year I am going to do 15 rangers and 15 reg. meaties as I am hoping the rangers will free range a bit more and not be as sluggish as the cornish X were.

I put thier pen as far from the house as I could btw and with enough room it did not get very gross although towards the end I had to put some shavings in. I used a deog house for shelter sinbce they did not need much. All in all it was ery easy and worth it [​IMG]

Since it is only a 6-10 week journey it is very possible in almost any area. 6 weeks goes by very fast. [​IMG]

8. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Hm some people here have me worries. I only live on 1 acre and plan on getting 50. But then again only I know how my setup really is. I have a large open area in the center of my yard where i plan to pasture these birds in one of those 10 x 10 pvc tractors or more likely two 5 x 10 since i don't plan on raising 50 birds but once a year. The part of the lawn where I want to put them grows so fast and gets so tall it ties up my lawnmower and I also hate mowing so I am really look to not have to mow that grass for two months! Althought it will be March to May so I wouldn't have to mow much during that time anyway...I think.

9. Miltonchix

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Its possible to raise this many in a 10x10 but I'd make it twice that size with half as many. The poop adds up incredibly fast the bigger they get. Right now I have 13 left of my original 25 in a 8X8 coop with a 6 X 10 run. Its too small. After 2 days they're ankle deep in crap, and my poor planning made it impossible to move the coop with fewer than 4 people.
    New MUCH LARGER run is on the drawing board now. I'm going to go up to 20 X 20 PVC run/shelter that I can move by myself.

10. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Go for it, just start with a small number like 10-12 and see how it goes. One of the nice things about Cornish Crosses is that they'll only be around for a couple months. You'll process these in May and have plenty of time to raise a second batch and stil lhave them i the freezer by Labor Day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by