Anyone raising Ayam Cemanis here? Or have experience with them?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playrough87, Jan 19, 2015.

1. playrough87

playrough87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2015
    Big Pine Key, Florida
    We're getting our first shipment of Ayem Cemani this week from a reputable breeder in Illinois (she breeds Greenfire Farms bloodlines). Most of my research on the breed is "oh, look at the black feathers, skin, meat, etc" or "they are one of the most rare chicken breeds in the world!"
    I am under the impression that the bloodlines are very few and far between in the US, so there is a lot of inbreeding going on. To combat this, many farms are using a hybrid chicken to introduce healthier chicks and larger eggs to the equation.
    So my question is, does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of this? I have thought about getting a separate flock of hybrid hens to breed with a pure Cemani rooster, and only continue breeding the all black hatchlings in the program.
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. Randy2010

Randy2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Arden, NC
    There are other threads on here to do with the Ayam Cemani's. There are two bloodlines here right now that people are working on. Greenfire Farms and Toni Marie. I think that you will be making a big mistake crossing hybrid chickens with them. You more and less going to weakening the genes that give them the all black look, inside and out. You can get some of Toni's line, or even cross with the Svart Hona's which I am using to create another line.

The lines here have enough problems as it is without adding hybrids which is going to cause you even more headaches down the road.

3. playrough87

Jan 19, 2015
    Big Pine Key, Florida
    Isn't that how you work out the various problems of a specific breed? I understand that most purebred animals of man's creation have problems, and we try our best to solve them through a selective breeding process that sometimes includes introducing a different breed to the equation. Don't get me wrong, I am not NOT heeding your warning, only asking. I've heard of some successful programs in other countries... but not Indonesia, where they originated. Perhaps that, in itself, is a tell tale sign.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. Randy2010

Nov 5, 2010
    Arden, NC
    Breeders are having hard enough time getting their chicks to hatch out all black and staying that way without getting red in their combs and waddles as they get older, or having clear or white skin, or pink mouths and tongues and so on. By breeding hybrids into them, you are just going to add to your problems. Not one line here in the US is throwing all black chicks that will grow out to be all black adult birds.

I have both lines and been working with them for a while now and especially on the one line, I culled over 95% of my chicks at hatch last year. Also it is going to be harder for you to sell them, because some are already selling these hybrid or mix lines and people are finding out that there is nothing but issues with them. A lot of these are already being sold on ebay and a lot of people have learn the hard way.

5. Randy2010

Nov 5, 2010
    Arden, NC
    Its your birds and your money, most people that are using hybrid or mix Cemani's are just using them as project birds to breed to their meat birds.

6. playrough87

Jan 19, 2015
    Big Pine Key, Florida
    I understand this, truly. I do not plan to make any money on these birds for years! I want to, just like anyone else, get a pure black. That's why, if any bird would be used, it'd be a Svart Hona hybrid. The other, and more viable, option to keep from so much inbreeding was importing some birds from Germany. I have already contacted a breeder, and he's had a good amount of world-wide shipping experience.

I am, in no way, afraid of culling less than superior chickens from my flock. I already have a two-coop set up in the works, with a separate small coop across the yard for my less than acceptable birds. These birds would be providing my family and friends with meat and eggs. Their deaths would not be in vain. At any rate, I'm not looking for a "get rich quick" scheme. I've just always been fond of rare and unusual animals, especially if they can provide me a service in the process.

7. Randy2010

Nov 5, 2010
    Arden, NC
    Search for the other Ayam Cemani threads on here and read through them, I think it will help you out and will give you more details on what some of other breeders are dealing with.

8. playrough87

Jan 19, 2015
    Big Pine Key, Florida
    Thank you! I actually found a great one yesterday, and you just so happen to be in it.
    Thanks for the advice! [​IMG]

9. BakerGirl

BakerGirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2016
    I've searched on here and can't find these threads you speak of. I have one ayem cemani chick (I think Greenfire lines) and would like to learn more about it. I got it because I thought it was cool, and I have a thing for solid black animals. She (hoping it's a she) is more of an ornament than anything. Could you give me some links? Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by