Anyone raising Buckeye?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickapooh23, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Does anyone have buckeyes? I have a few that are 12 wks old and I have a lot of questions about them.

2. j.luetkemeyer

j.luetkemeyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2008
    Mid-Missouri
    I have a few and also have some eggs in the bator. I can try and answer your questions. There are some others on here that raise buckeyes as well.

3. Chickapooh23

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Here is the big one. How do you sex them. Mine are 12 wks old and I am clueless.

1) One is growing a long black feathered jungle fowl type tail. He is a no brainer. Does that mean the others are pullets or are they just late bloomers? He has a more of a comb then the others also.

2) They are all about the same size within about 1/2 lb (smallest is 2lbs 14 ozs the one with the tail 3lbs 6 ozs). Camera has dead batteries, am getting some tomorrow.

3) How do they mature. If I have a pullet (which I am not sure of) when do they start laying. I have a lot of experience with Easter Eggers but these guys are very different. I thought that they would be similar because of the pea comb but they do not appear to be.

They eat considerably more then my EE also. Is that because they are growing. I know that they are more of a dual purpose bird, and I really don't have a lot of experience with those either.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    I was asking if anyone had Buckeyes too, on the link in my signature. I'm interested to see how many Ohioans keep Buckeye chickens.

Are yours friendly?

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I read in a book that they are all dark meat???? Is this true? [​IMG] My DH only likes dark meat... lol I need some [​IMG]

6. Chickapooh23

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:They will walk right up to me but they are not crazy about being handled. I am not sure f it is because of my Easter Egg Roo who hates them. I have them separated from him but I usually free range so they are going to have to learn to get along soon. I could handle them easily until a couple of weeks ago which is when they met him.

I am hoping that they will settle down once the weather breaks and we are outside with them regularly. They are aggressive which might be way my other roo is so mean to them.

7. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Yes I have one Buckeye [​IMG]

8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm presently reading a wonderful new chickenbook. How To Raise Chickens by Christine Heinriches. Beautiful pics as well as a ton of info....really a good book, also has the FFA symbol of approval....anyway it states that the cock's may have some black markings on the flight feathers as well as the main tail feathers. Hope that helps some.

The pic they show is a handsome one.

bigzio

9. Chickapooh23

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:Thanks I will check for that book. I have read several from our library but there hasn't been a lot on buckeyes except history and general stats. The one with fancy britches does have black feathers on his flight feathers (I know he is a male)but they all seem to have black in their tails.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Corancher has buckeyes too. Marlinchaser has some as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by