Anyone raising White Doves?

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
I was at a show and someone had a sign that said Doves for Sale and they had some PIGEON there. I said, Um, that's not a dove, that's a white pigeon, and they were like, No one knows the difference, so what if it's a pigeon?

I have raised White Doves 3 times in the past, I KNOW the difference
smile.png
The first set came from someone's wedding. They let them go, and they were so tame they didn't fly away. So we crawled in the trees and took them home.

The second set was their babies. Nothing is uglier than a baby dove, but they are so sweet!

The last one I had I received after my sister in law passed away. She had it for 7 years and it was so tame. It was killed last summer when my toddler and puppy got into her cage (the front was locked with a padlock, but they reached through the water dish). I want some more to raise, I miss their coos every morning
smile.png

Does anyone have any, or know where I can get some?

I'm confused are you saying you caught released doves at a wedding? Are you sure you're not meaning white homing pigeons? Most people release white homing pigeons at a wedding and call them doves for asthetic reasons but they are really white homing pigeons. If they WERE really doves that were released I am so happy that you guys caught them and kept them because real doves do poorly finding their way home. I miss having pigeons, myself.

They really were white doves. We knew they would be cat bait by morning. They obviously thought Oh Doves would be pretty, got them and released them, they flew out to the trees, and started to roost. They couldn't get them to go for a long time (Kind of embarrassing really, to release birds to fly away to have them come and sit on the bride and pick her hair and dress.) This was 15 years ago though and it was small town. They didn't think about the birds obviously.

That's honestly why they *usually* use white homing pigeons for that type of event. That way the birds really do return, and don't die out there.
But, yes, even on our local classifieds, I was excited when I found an ad for "doves", and opened up to a big picture of a freaking pigeon. I was so upset, because I have two lady doves here... DOVES, not PIGEONS!

Anyways, good luck in your search!

It can get frustrating when people call pigeons doves, and doves pigeons.

If people would make sure to put 'White RELEASE doves', THEN you'd know they're white homers. But most people leave the release part out. It would also really clear up a lot of confusion if people referred to the actual doves and white ringnecks, since that's what they are
wink.png

Speaking of which, I have a pair of babies that should be weaned in a couple weeks. There's a guy in my racing pigeon club who does the wedding releases, and uses these little guys in display cages. I think he has plenty of doves, so I should be able to sell these.

Saw this ad on craigslist today... was tempted.. never seen a tangerine one before...

Have multiple mixes of tangerine, white and ring-necked doves. Approximately 2 dozen for sale. ALL FOR $ 100. MUST PICK UP BY * 5 - 4 - 09

Back
Top Bottom