1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anyone raisning ducks in florida?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by alexarae, Jul 21, 2011.

1. alexarae

alexarae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    im raising ducklings in florida but the heat is a problem. i am worried about how they will handle it when im back at school. it is hard to keep there swimming and drinking water cool also.
    any suggestions on keeping them cool?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I'm in southern AL, so not technically FL, but close enough.
    My ducks have a large pool to swim in and since there is ~1000 gallons of water, it doesn't heat up as much as the small kiddie pools did. It isn't out of the hose coolish (because it just isn't cold out of the hose anymore), but it isn't as warm as the air either.

Once you head back to school, just make sure you give them fresh water in the morning and do it again when you get home from school

3. alexarae

alexarae Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    florida
    thanks.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Start now with dumping and refreshing the water on what your in school schedule will be. Will your parents let you use a small timer and sprinkler to come on for 10 minutes during the heat of the day?

5. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I'm in Florida, too. It makes a HUGE difference if you keep their water and swimming pools in the shade. If you don't have any natural shade in your yard, maybe you could put up a canopy over their water. If the water is in direct sunlight, it ends up getting so hot you can barely even touch it, but in the shade it manages to stay about room temperature.

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Mine have a fan in the duck house [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by