Anyone Refuse To Buy A City Permit?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by goldtopper, Apr 30, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Chickens are allowed in my city- just check with neighbors for an OK and pay for the permit...$75!
    I checked with my neighbors- no problem! Hey can we come over and see them?
    Why yes of course, and I'll give you eggs!
    Got to thinking about the permit. Pay $75 bucks for what? The city does nothing for me. I compost, recycle and use natural fertilizers. I have a completely predator proof coop and a predator proofed 6' cedar privacy fence around my large backyard.

Permit? I ain't buying no steenkin permit! They can weasel all the other taxes out of me, but this one is nothing but a snarky way of taking money for nothing.

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Most permits are just a way for the city to suck money out of people. I wouldn't get one either. I also don't get a license for my dog every year. I never got a driveway permit when I built my house either.

3. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    [​IMG] Ha, I like your style. However, it only takes ONE of those neighbors to feel slighted when your hens stop laying and they don't get their usual egg bribe to complain to the Powers-That-Be in retribution, and there you go. No permittee, no chickee -- or, at the best, a big fat fine.

The "licensing" fee seems like a small price to pay for your peace of mind.

P.S. Love the hat. [​IMG]

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    When it comes to these annoying permits and fees the city charges (for whatever reason), I always opt to pay them. Otherwise, they charge me triple or quadruple the amount when they catch me. And, like someone says, if anyone changes their mind about liking your chickens, you're covered.

5. AEFarm

AEFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    A little civil disobedience never hurt anyone [​IMG]

6. Autumnchicken

Autumnchicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    Woodstock, IL
    I am anti-permit!

7. skysoldier

skysoldier Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    My community allows only 12 hens and if you have more than 3 you must have a permit. that is unless you read the next ordinance that says you need a permit if you have more than 4 chickens. Another section also prohibits one from selling less than twelve baby chicks to anyone in the city . . . Go Figure. I have 3 or four hens and several living mobile eggplants. eggplants are not regulated in my community as of this writing.

8. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if i was you I would pay it, so no problems......But, if you dont pay it, ACT like you did!!...so it dont give anybody fuel to start a fire! [​IMG]

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Is that once and for all? or yearly?

If it's once and for all pay it and be done. if its yearly... send it in eggs?

10. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Permit shmermit, I wouldn't pay it either. I was afraid I wouldn't be allowed to have chickens, so I didn't ask lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by