1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone remember my confusion on some of my bantams?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama24, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I had a roo that was either a black Minorca or a black Blue Andalusian. I had a splash pullet that I am sure is related to the cockerel, but her body type isn't quite right. I really do still think I got 2 chicks from someone's bantam Blue Andalusian project. I think maybe the pullet is showing some OEGB or something that was used in the program, or perhaps was the progeny of a fence jumper. Anyway, I was told that the experts did not think they were Andalusians, but I should post pics of their chicks, as they would hold the answer. Well, here are the results. I hatched the older one in my incubator, he is about 10 weeks old now. The younger one, my pullet (who is now about 6.5 mos old!) hatched herself about 2 weeks ago along with some of my other pullet and hen's eggs. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That leghorn is the same age! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    No thoughts? Regular blue or Andalusian blue?

The little one disappeared. [​IMG] Too bad b/c its color was obviously closer to the Andalusian blue. Well, I'm sure I'll breed them again next spring!

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Blue is blue to me. [​IMG] Sorry to hear you lost one, but the up side is that you can add more. [​IMG]

4. mama24

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Quote:I know! Me, too! I have some hatchery blue Andalusian LF and I honestly can't see any difference between their blue and my blue Ameraucanas! They both have a line of black around the bottom of their feathers! Beautiful, but I can't see the difference!

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    They are the same blue , lavender is also called self-blue, and "normal" blue (blue/black/splash offspring) is also called andalusion blue. Idk why, I've never looked it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by