Anyone roughly know when an Australorp will go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mpcardona, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mpcardona

mpcardona Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    I live in So Cal and have been a chicken owner for 5 months. My Australorps are almost a year old. They just started laying Mid January. How long till they go broody? I'm thinking about making my own incubator, but I would much rather them go broody. What do you guys think?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would go with the incubator 'just in case'. There is no guarantee that they will go broody.

3. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    Thanks Sourland. I figured. My husband said that they go broody when they know that they that they are at the end of their egg laying.

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    He is wrong, some birds never go broody. My buffs , one to be exact has gone broody 3 times in a year. They do not go broody when you want them to and some never go broody. My australorps are almost a year and have never gone broody. My buff was 7 months when she first started.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can "invite" them by having a nest of golf balls, plastic eggs, etc. For some birds the clutch of eggs can help trigger broodiness. For some, not so much.

6. mpcardona

Sep 30, 2011
    Mineola, Texas
    It's funny, that is one of the main reasons I got a couple Australorps. Well I can try the golf ball and fake egg trick. If that doesn't work, I'll just do it myself. Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by