anyone seen The Day the Earth Stood Still yet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicabee19, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    We're going today at 1:15 despite the snow! [​IMG]

2. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw it! It was pretty darn good!

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I guess we'll probably see it...I just wish it had a different title, because it's going to be hard to make myself forget the source material, the original novella/short story by Harry Bates. I can tell from the commercials that the movie has just about NOTHING in common with Bates' story. Of course, neither did the original film, aside from the fact that there was an alien and a robot in it.

I have to give the new movie credit, though...because of its release, I recently picked up a copy of a collection of Bates' novellas in hopes that my husband would read TDTESS before the film release. The stories are really pretty awesome--wonderfully understated indictments of man's lack of faith and humanity in and toward their fellow man.

The Day The Earth Stood Still has one of the all-time best final sentences in fiction. I wish everyone would take an short break from their day and read it before seeing the movie--you can even read it for FREE online, under its original title, Farewell to the Master !

4. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Mind Numbing stupid. One of the worst.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I still want to see it... I doubt I can talk my wife into going... perhaps one of the boys will go with me Thursday afternoon.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Ninja, old buddy old pal, I think we've been hanging out on different threads- or, really, I have barely been hanging out at all.

Thanks for the link to the orig story. And what artwork!

Gotta go to bed now but I'll read it tomorrow in the a.m. Nighty-night!

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I enjoyed watching it, though I didn't like the ending too much.

8. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:I agree, I thought it was pretty terrible. And we went to IMAX, so it cost even more. Good thing I didnt have to pay! [​IMG]

9. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Yes. Well. Social commentary at its special effects finest. I liked the metal eating bugs in this version.

I have watched way too many movies in my life. The question I have is this:

Was the robot in the original the inspiration for Battlestar Galactica?

Other than that, my popcorn was very good (and they give me free nacho cheese for dipping).

10. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    my DH saw it and says that was the worst boring movie he has seen in years and he sees alot of movies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by