1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone seen this before....?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CowgirlMama, Apr 8, 2011.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    I was checking chicks for pasted butt this morning (found 4!) and I thought this one was pasted up... however, the black bump is lower on the body cavity than the vent (see pics below). Does anyone know what it is? I started to try to get it off with a warm rag, but it wasn't coming easily so I quit... this is on a Black Australorp chick (from a straight run) that I got Wednesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    we've seen this alot it seems, looks like where the yolk was attached kinda like a belly button should just fall off as it dries. keep an eye on it.

3. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Quote:I was wondering if that's what it could be... I was thinking it looked a lot like a calf or lamb navel.... thanks! [​IMG] Luckily I can sorta tell this little one from the rest of the Australorps so I can keep an eye on her/him. I didn't notice it on any of the others.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:Exactly. It will eventually fall off - may take up to a week.

Do not try to pull it off, because it can start to bleed and attract the attention of the other chicks. All chicks have them, some are just smaller and dry up/heal quicker.

Good job noticing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by