Anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by msweat16, Oct 21, 2014.

1. msweat16

msweat16 New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    Got 7 "clearance" ducklings for our local Atwoods. We're estimating them to be about 9-10 weeks. Looks like we have 4 Perkins and two Runner/Runner crosses. The last two days this guy won't stretch out his neck. He'll drink and eat but mostly just tips forward with very little head/neck movement. I believe he is my only male out of the group... I'd like to keep him.[​IMG]

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Get some poultry electrolytes and probiotics. I always use it for ducklings. I use Merrick's blue ribbon poultry electrolytes, but any brand will do. Usually the ones with the head down is submissive showing female. Thawed peas will also perk them up.

1 person likes this.
  3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Cute! They are very much NOT 9-10 weeks old. At 9-10 weeks they have all their feathers. I would guess 3-4 weeks. I also wouldn't count on just one male quite yet since they are still so young. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. As far as the neck things goes... I have no idea.

Edit

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    [​IMG]
    These are my 2 pekins at 11 weeks old. They are full size and started to molt their juvenile feathers at that age.

5. msweat16

msweat16 New Egg

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks, we've had them already for almost 4 weeks and was told they were about 4 1/2 weeks maybe older when we got them... They were almost double the size of the new shipment of ducklings, maybe they meant 2 1/2 weeks...

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Those babies look to be around 2-3 weeks old - they haven't started getting much in the way of feathers yet.

7. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I bet they were around a week old when you got them. My guys were 2 weeks in my avatar. At a week old they should be double the size of a day old. And they will double that again in 2 weeks. In other words they grow super fast :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by