Anyone sell homemade jams/jellies, etc.?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by winstonsgrrrl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm wondering who on here makes and sells homemade food items. We did a lot of jams, jellies, pickles, etc. as Christmas gifts and they went over really well. Just wanted to know if anyone makes money off of these, how they do it, etc. We have a great local farmer's market that I think would be a good means of doing this.

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I too am curious about this. I gave out homemade jelly for Christmas and have heard many compliments back on the two pear recipes I made up. It would be neat to find an outlet for this to make some extra cash ;0)

3. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Check out the thread on here : "What are you canning now?" Started by Acres of Blessings. (under Egg, Chicken and other recipes) Many people on the thread can items for sale.

Good Luck!!!

Cindy

PS also check out "what are you baking now?"

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I do! I usually bake and make jams/jellies and sell them at my local Farmer's Market that runs from June through October. I have done well selling jellies-but check out Ohio's Cottage Foods requirements. You must have things labeled properly. Also-giving out samples sells your product!

5. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    I made ALOT of triple berry jam last year as our wedding favors. The ingredients were inexpensive enough and the "work" was fun but the jars were sooo expensive. So I was always wondering the same thing as you. It would be great to sell them, everyone said they were the best ever. I think a person has to be able to buy this stuff in bulk, to start really selling,but where?
    Sorry for not really answering the question!

6. chauqg

chauqg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Brian at bubbatanicals.com is a person that makes and sells jams and jellies.... He also makes great soap. The URL is to his online store. Very good products ... he is in Georgia.

Cheerz

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. buffyandhersisters

buffyandhersisters Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    I made tons of jam and sold it at the farmers market last summer. I don't think I really made much of a profit but I'm going to do it again because I loved it. I'm starting a web site so will also be selling online. www.bluemoonfoods.com

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    It is best to check with your local Sstate or County Health Department.

Here in IL, you can sell jams and jellies at Farmer's Markets IF you have a Food Preparation License and you make them in a certified kitchen and only sell at the Farmer's market.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by