anyone sell meat birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ranchruler@gmail.com, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ranchruler@gmail.com

ranchruler@gmail.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    alliance,oh
    I was wondering here who sells meat birds (any kind) and whats good.
    Do you guys sell them or do you have some always left over?
    How much do you sell yours for?
    How many do you raise?
    What breed are you raising?
    THANKS

2. fair weather chicken

fair weather chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    we sell cornish x by csa and singles we get 7.50 a bird for singles. been doing it for three years and so far everyone is extremely happy with the birds and the taste

3. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    I am Currently starting to raise Jersey Giants for Personal use and Friends ..

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I sell mine. For the past 2 years I have been raising Cornish Cross, but this year I am also doing Freedom Rangers. I have yet to have any left over. As a matter of fact, I've had to order more than I planned to keep up. I sell the ones on a soy based feed (the CX) for $3/pound and the non soy/non GMO (FR) for $4.50/pound. Two years ago I did 500. Last year I did 700.

5. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    This is our first year selling. Right now we have 200+ we are raising for the spring season. Oklahoma allows for a 1000 bird exemption from inspection. So, we will raise more for the fall, as it is too hot to raise them in the summer here. Our goal this year is 700 birds, but as I said, this is the first time selling, and the first time raising CX, so we'll see. Eventually, we want to do the full 1,000 allotment. The only thing I am certain of right now is the current batch of 200 or so, however. We are also raising BBW and BBB turkeys, each of which equals 4 chickens toward our exemption limit.

We stepped into the water cautiously. We are taking pre-orders with no deposit required. We showed up at the farmers market with our preorder sheets, pictures, and information, with some colorful eggs to draw folks to the table. The market has been slow, but we are selling like crazy. We expect to sell out of these first batches within the next two weeks. After processing, the customer may either pick them up at the farm, or we will deliver them to their door. The market managers don't want us making actual sales or deliveries at the market unless we have a licensed refrigeration unit. Some day.

We sell for $3.00 a pound, but if this madness keeps up we may raise our prices.

Makes me wish the Oklahoma exemption was significantly higher.

Bigredfeather, I would be interested in how your clients receive your FRs. I'm curious how they will react to the different type of breast conformation. If they sell well for you and your clients are pleased, we might give them a shot when things heat up here.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I will be interested as well, LOL. I told them they are going to be different than the CX they are used to getting. Biggest reason I tried them is because I am raising them on soy free feed, and when I tried this ration w/ the CX, they didn't do very well. So far they are doing great. They eat like a CX, but are a bit slower. I have a batch of CX that are a week younger than the FR, and the CX are bigger already.

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Normally, I would hatch out and sell plenty of the Cornish chicks of mine-- not the CX chicks-- true cornish... but I've had such a year selling hatching eggs-- I really haven't even started up my 'bator to hatch... So much better to sell someone the eggs and not have to pay the electric bill to get baby chicks-- or take the risks associated with them.

8. muddymomma

muddymomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    how much are your eggs. i've been thinking about getting some cornish. we have some crosses now and man they grow fast, but i'm having a hard time not thinking of them as big freaks of nature lol

9. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    30 per dozen plus shipping. PM me for more details...

They are not show quality birds due to color patterns- and the fact that I don't really care what my colors are looking like.. I call them more of a meat bird project.

10. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by