Anyone sell their chicks? I need opinions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FortCluck, Nov 18, 2019.

1. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I'm just entertaining the idea of maybe selling some of the chicks that I hatch in the springtime...

Does anyone else do this?

What is your pricing based off of?

My chicks are all mixed with Black Jersey Giant and I know the specific hens they're breeding with.

What should I sell my chicks for?

I'm selling them as straight run because I am not going to be responsible for sexing a chick wrong.

RSL/BJG Chick
    IMG_20191105_134404~2.jpg

Delaware/BJG Chick
    IMG_20191105_134748~2.jpg

2. msiler

msiler Songster

Nov 26, 2018
    I sell bearded Silkie chicks and they go for about $8. That being said though, they are purebred and from quality stock and not mixed colors. For you, it all depends on the market in your area. Crossbreed chicks here generally sell for about $2 to $3. A BJG as the father may increase your price if the chicks turn out to be good dual purpose birds which I would venture to say they would!

3. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Be sure to check the laws of the state you are in. I believe that Virginia is one of those states that require a minimum number of chicks to be purchased at a time. If I am remembering correctly the law does not just apply to commercial vendors but to anyone selling chicks. They may or may not have other requirements as well.

Good luck.

NHMountainMan likes this.
  4. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I actually have 21 of them right now that I am using for meat chickens and putting a few into my layer flock. I'm testing them out first myself before I even venture into selling them. I want to know first hand what their meat is like and how they lay before anyone gets them.

IMG_20191114_093357~2.jpg

Here is the father, Squatch. He's the one staring down my puggle who is not scared of him at all! They were a mix up and sexed wrong, but I'm using them because everything happens for a reason.

IMG_20191118_120103~2.jpg

5. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I know when I buy them at tractor supply there is a minimum of six chicks... When I purchase them at the local farm, I can buy as little as I want. They're a well known farm in VA, so I can ask them about it. The duck minimum at TSC is 2. The weird thing is though when you buy at Southern States, you can get as little as you want. I purchased 1 chick there before!

The minimums confuse me because each store is different!

NHMountainMan and msiler like this.
  6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Some states control the minimum, in some states there is no minimum and the stores do whatever they want.

Check your state laws, don't rely on someone else's opinion. It would not be the first time that people were ignorant of the actual law.

7. Skippersnh

Skippersnh Songster

Oct 14, 2019
    i would try for 4 bucks each

FortCluck likes this.
  8. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    Okay thank you! I don't want to sell just one chick to someone, I think I will make them buy more than two just for my own sanity. I don't want somebody buying one chick and thinking it can live alone!

I'll look into the laws, I have plenty of time because I wasn't going to even attempt this until maybe February or March.

I still don't know how these will grow out.

Their weight at 7 days was 5 oz, I was thinking about weighing them probably tonight. I got a few chunkers! I also have two of them that have wattles, they had them at 15 days old :thGood thing they weren't the ones that I picked to keep :gig

R2elk and NHMountainMan like this.
  9. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    It always confuses me that tractor supply has a minimum, but Southern states doesn't... Southern States deals more with turkey poults, quail, and peachicks. They never really have a good selection of chicken chicks.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    R2elk and NHMountainMan like this.
  10. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I sell chicks, started pullets, and cockerels on occassion. I have mixed bantams so I go $2-3 on chicks, pullets at point of lay can get $15-20, cockerels no matter the age I'm lucky to get $5.

R2elk, NHMountainMan and FortCluck like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: