Anyone selling Barley Straw in Arkansas ?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by luvarabhorses, Mar 4, 2009.

1. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Hi, Does anyone have bales of Barley straw for sale in Arkansas? thanks, Lisa

2. stane

stane New Egg

Jul 3, 2008
    I've got plenty of wheat straw in W. Ky., but I don't guess that will help, huh?

3. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    I need a couple of bales for my pond. I was trying to figure out if any type of straw would work but barely straw seems to be the only thing- thanks anyway

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    ok, so what is barley straw (never heard of it) and what do you do with it around a pond?

5. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Hi Becky, You split up the bale, put it in net bags around the pond and as the straw decays in the pond it clears up the water. Something with the particular decaying bacteria of barley straw. I got impatient with my search today, bit the bullet and paid $70 to have two bales delivered to my house. Barley straw is a gold mine, wish I had the room and means to grow it.
    Check out Pondstrawdirect.com (i think that is right) where it is about $100 per bale I think.
    Lisa

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    How big is your pond?
    I use the liquid barley concentrate in my 8,000gallon koi pond and it works great.
    It's 1 ounce per 1000 gallons and has the measuring cup built into the bottle, you squeeze it up into the top and then pour the oz in and repeat as much as needed.
    I've had no trouble with string algae at all since I began using it. I also used skippy's bio-filter bacteria (http://www.skippysstuff.com/stuff.htm) to keep everything balanced.

I got the liquid barley last year from theponddigger.com and am about to order a bigger bottle for this year.

Here's his link:
    http://www.exoticwaterscapes.com/barley-straw.php

Hope that helps [​IMG]

7. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    It does thanks! My problem is really the iron in the water, it helps a lot when I run my waterfall. I bought some cat tails to work into the tub in the waterfall, hopefully that will help also. What I need is alum sulphate I think for the iron, but because it is a big outdoor pond I doubt I'll ever have that crystal clear look I want. Lisa

8. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a pond supply store close by? The one I go to sells the mini bales and you don't have to break them up. Also I think I have seen them at the feed store or pet store...can't remember which.

9. luvarabhorses

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Hi, thanks, the pond is about 1/8th acre so I need a full bale. I can't believe it costs $70 for two bales (35 lbs) when you think it is just a byproduct of barley.
    I wish I didn't love horses so much and would get into the barley straw business, everyone around here has ponds.

10. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    wow! didn't know that. we have a 1 acre pond in front yard practically and would love to clear it up but not at that cost. [​IMG]

don't even know anywhere here that sells it either. glad you got some though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by