Anyone selling duck eggs in Missouri?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Hunter0704, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    I live outside St. Louis and was wondering if anyone sells duck eggs and what price they fetch??? Thanks for answering.

Selling duck eggs to eat....answers are very helpful....thanks!

Selling duck eggs to incubate myself, I would be interested in Welsh Harlequins, and maybe a few others. Anyone selling to incubate?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    For hatching, or eating? if you want I can ship you some. Hatching though... I cant take the chance that you would get sick.... PM me if you want hatching eggs....

3. homemakerjulie

homemakerjulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    west central, MO
    I'm in Missouri too but haven't sold my eggs yet, but plan on asking $3 a dozen, not sure if that's too low. Are you wanting the for eating? or hatching?

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I will be in the spring when everyone gets laying... because I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in eggs. not planning on selling for hatching, but once I get my appleyards I might. that'll be a question for late summer at least.

interested to know what others are getting for eating eggs. I'm in SW MO.

5. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Quote:at $3 you will be loosing money! it costs more to feed them! We are neighbors, Central Illinois, and I sell 1 dozen for $5, the stores sell them $7-$10 a dozen!
    Duck eggs are large, so they command a higher price.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:at $3 you will be loosing money! it costs more to feed them! We are neighbors, Central Illinois, and I sell 1 dozen for $5, the stores sell them $7-$10 a dozen!

Wish I could sell eggs for that price!
    We get $3 a dozen for chicken eggs. We don't even sell the duck eggs for eating since no one wants to buy them since they are chicken eggs.. [​IMG]
    Where at in Central, Illinois are you at? My zip code is 62461. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  7. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    here in sw MO

eating - $2-4 a dozen

hatching $6-8 a dozen

8. Coffeemama7

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois

Wish I could sell eggs for that price!
    We get $3 a dozen for chicken eggs. We don't even sell the duck eggs for eating since no one wants to buy them since they are chicken eggs.. [​IMG]
    Where at in Central, Illinois are you at? My zip code is 62461. [​IMG]

We are not near you. We also get $3/dozen for chicken eggs. Remember, chicken eggs are smaller, so the trick to selling Duck eggs is focusing on size, nutrition, and taste! Springfield, Bloomington, and Champaign have large Asian populations, and they KNOW the value of duck eggs!! Ducks are harder to keep, definitely messier, and eat more than chickens! So, I wouldn't keep so many, if the eggs were not so "in demand". Try to find a specialty grocer!

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Right on Coffeemama! Here in NC I have a great market for duck eggs Asian Brains to the North around The Research Triangle Park (Tech Jobs pay well) so $6 is pretty normal Farmer Market price. Fort Bragg & Pope AFB to the South and the so called 'war brides' like the duck eggs too, Farmer market price is $5/Doz. Asian Food market owners are looking to buy wholesale in both areas but want too much of a markdown and get all upset if the ducks aren't laying well, and I can sell all I can produce at the farmer markets. People will advance order ducks for eating. And Silky chickens are considered lucky with black skin and bones. I got started because one woman's doctor told her to try duck eggs when it was discovered she had an allergy to Chicken eggs, It worked and I was in the duck egg business!

10. Coffeemama7

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Quote:WAY TO GO! I have many who inquire about the allergy issue, thanks for that insight! I know that they have been attacked for the higher cholesterol, but they are a great balance of all nutrients, and since my hubby switched to duck eggs his cholesterol & BP are way down and hiking stamina has tripled.
    For those of you who are looking for a market...look for a college with foreign students. Lots of them know the duck egg as preferable! Good Luck, in Missouri! $3 may be the market max around you.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by