Anyone separate their roos from their hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kinnip, Apr 26, 2009.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm sick of seeing bald backs! I plan on separating the roos except for the occasional date. How long can I put off this date before I lose fertility? I was thinking about putting them together once a week. Too often? Not often enough?

2. missy1

missy1 New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    You shouldnt separate them. If they were together since chicks theyll stop eating my chicks diid thay!!!!!!!!!!!11111

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Should remain fertile for about 2 weeks +/- If you want it out of the hen it will last 4 weeks if you it to remain only count on 1 week. Sorry thats just my luck. Each hen can be a little different.

I have my roos seperate from the hens, I do leave a couple with the girls, but I have one pen with 10 roos otherwise everyone would be bald.

The problem with seperating then reintroducing is they have to start over as a new chicken to the flock, even if they were just on the other side of the fence, so mating may not occur right away, not like with other animals where you can put them together, and know it happened.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Missy1, have you raised a flock to laying age and then watched as your one (mistakenly sold to you as a pullet) roo decimates every feather on the backs of almost all of your fourteen hens? I have, and it's awful to see. I really need to get rid of the roo for that reason. This is why the OP is asking the question, I'm sure.

If I had the facilities I'd separate him out in a heartbeat, and just let him 'mingle' once in awhile. My poor birds look awful - although they're laying lovely eggs and seem otherwise happy.

I think I read somewhere that a hen is fertilized for two weeks, but I'm no expert.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I have 2 words for you, Chicken Saddle

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I thought you were gonna say "Chicken Soup" or at least "Another Pen" [​IMG]

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I bought saddles, they wouldn't stay on the girls.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:SEMEN (its an adult word in an adult conversation, c'mon) can be stored sometimes for 10 days or more. For optimum fertility, once a week would be best.

Have you ever considered saddles to protect their backs, that way you dont have to seperate anyone?

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I have a truly admirable collection of saddles that always find their way to the ground. I have one hen who stays in her 'dress'. The others shed 'em like it's Prom Night.
    Marlinchaser, how long do you find it takes yours to get to mating. Are we talking hours or days?

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by