1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone set yesterday or today?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andisgarden, Sep 17, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    I am a newbie and I just sat 18 Maran eggs yesterday and I would love to have a hatching friend. Is anyone interested?

Thanks,

Andrea

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I just set 15 Buckeye eggs late Tues. night. Close enough, I think! Is this your 1st time? What kind of 'bator?

I have an LG, with auto-turner and fan. I have three thermometers in there right now, and a hygrometer from Egg Cartons .com.

There's another thread about therms and stuff I need to post some pics and results on, when I find it again, I'll link to it when I do.

3. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    I set 8 marans eggs under a first time broody yesterday afternoon! Hatching buddies!! [​IMG]

I hope she does her job - she's been broody for about two weeks. Silkie/cochin mix. She gathered all those big brown eggs under her like an expert and just fluffed up, cooed at me, and went right to sleep. [​IMG]

4. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I did today!!! My broody has been setting for 3 days now and I have been taking her eggs away but I finially gave into her today!!! [​IMG]
    Can I join the buddy list?!?! This is my first time ever!!

5. HappyVol

HappyVol Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    I set 6 eggs yesterday, mixed Buff Cochin and Weyendotte. Only 6 cause I sold a friend 6 chicks and she did not have her coop quite ready and something got them all. She has redone her coop so these will be hers.
    Nancy

6. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    I just set 9 Ameraucana eggs last night they were shipped and they all looked good, but a couple air cells might be broken [​IMG].

I have a LG Bator, Auto turner and a fan. I have 3 thermometers two are hygro/temp. All of them say something different, but Im mainly trusting the one that came with the bator.

Im also a newbie it would be nice to have a hatching buddy or a few ^.^

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Getting ready to. I'm waiting to see if my bator is holding temp right. I've got 22 serama, 2 japanese bantam, and I forget how many I collected from my dark brown layer mutts. When I counted a few days ago it was 10. I might set a couple from the barred rock hen and my dark layer roo as well. I haven't decided. It might depend how much room I have left in the turner or whether I get the other bator running before tomorrow. It still has bleach smell.

8. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    YEAH, friends! I have a cheap still air bator but, I have heard a lot of people have great success with these. I also have a cochin bantam barred rock sitting on a clutch right now. They will be ready (or are suppose to be ready) early next week. I am really worried about them because one of the bad eggs exploded today and I am worried the bad bacteria will hurt the developing ones. I candled them today and there were 5 viable and I trashed the other rotten one.

I am half tempted to get some of these marans under her too.

Andrea

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I only have 2 $40 still airs. One hova and one LG. I prefer to use the hova but that's the one that is still giving off bleach fumes so plugged in the LG earlier today. I've hatched hundreds of chickens and quail in my still airs.

10. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

So remind me how long does this take!!! I am so eggcited!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by