Anyone setup something like this..........

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DENALI, Mar 3, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. 4F FARM

4F FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    North Idaho
    It looks like a good idea to me. The only problem is that our garden is 74x80. I'll see how I can work this into our yard.

3. terryc

terryc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    Quote:What a great idea. Wish I would have thought of that.

Terry

4. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that would be one way of doing a garden.

5. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Anyone have an estimation of how big an area that diagram covers?

6. Mrs Chickenlady

Mrs Chickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Wish I would have this article 10 weeks ago. [​IMG] Sure would have killed 2 birds with 1 stone and made building the new coop and run alot easier.

7. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Anyone else have any comments on something like this? Thanks

8. 4F FARM

4F FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    North Idaho
    I don't see a problem with this at all. If you alternate each year you would have good soil that is almost pest free. It would also eliminate the need to rotate your crops each year. The only issue I see is that the compost pile may smell too much. Sometimes the earthy smell is too much for my stomache. I showed it to my DH last night and he thought it was a great idea. The only problem is that we would have to clear more trees. I guess its a good thing we still have 4 feet of snow and haven't started building the new coop yet.

Denali, what are your thoughts on doing this?

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The only disadvantage I can see is that you either have to accept losses to hawks and perhaps fence-climbing predators, or roof *two* rather than just one sufficient-sized runs, or have a netting top that can somehow be moved from one run to the other each year. (Since you would be rotating the chickens from one run to the next on a yearly basis). Well, and it requires you to construct and predator-proof TWO rather than just one sufficient-sized runs.

Pat

10. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Looks great. My area is so very rocky I'm thinking my garden is going to have to be in raised beds though.

I'm doubtful I'll even be able to dig the 1' to put the run fence underground. I've been reading about laying the fencing on the ground out a food and covering it with dirt. Has anyone tried this and is it successful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by