Anyone shave their silkies leg feathers in winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lynn57, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Just wondering if a person should do this. We get alot of snow here and I think the chickens may still wonder outside for part of the day. I've read that the snow can freeze around the legs due to the feathers and that they can lose their feet this way.

thank so much

2. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Where do you live? Spruce Creek is a place in PA.. just wondering, will have to look at that link. Anyways. I have Silkies and they are usually fine. I live in PA and get a few inches of snow a year. The feathers get wet from brushing the snow, but it has never been cold enough for anything like loosing their legs, or toes.

3. Lynn57

Lynn57 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks, but we are in Alberta Canada and there are quite a few days that it gets to -40
    Spruceview is the name of our farm not where were located. I remember a post long ago about someone's silkie losing it's feet because of the impacted snow in the feathers and then the extreme cold.

thanks again

4. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    hmm, I have heard lovely things about alberta. I'm not sure what you should do I have only had -10 degrees ever... I hope you find someone that can help more..

5. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Quote:I'm not sure about the feathers either ~ but, I have a spare bedroom you can use until spring. Our average temp in the winter is 39, and that has a + in front of it. [​IMG]

I remember a post about someone's bird that stood in water that froze and they had to amputate both feet.

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I would trim those feathers if they seem to pack snow or ice. When it clumps, it will not melt and they will be dragging it into the coop which results in a wet mess. They will grow back in the spring pretty quickly. That or you may choose to keep them up off the ground when outside, say on wire or in a covered run. At such cold temps, a wet chicken feet may freeze and get frost bite. Just my thoughts though. BTW, I have heard silkies prefer to live in your house with diapers on, [​IMG] but, alas, I make mine live outside too. [​IMG] They cry on the porch to get in. [​IMG] HenZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by