Anyone show turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fancybanty, Nov 5, 2009.

1. fancybanty

fancybanty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    I have a tom entered in a show this weekend and although I can handle him fine I don't want him to cause any problems for the judge. Do the judges pick them up and handle them? What is the exam like? This is my first show as well as my Toms. Any suggestions or input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I've been wondering the same myself because a grown tom is going to be a handful no matter how tame!

.....Alan.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

You might want to ask that on the breeds and showing thread - there a couple judges on there.

Steve

4. cheraboo

cheraboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Michigan
    My kids show turkeys for 4H. They walk the turkeys to the showing area. The judge observes how the kids interact with the turkey and then has them sit down with their birds and asks them questions. The judge talks to each child individually and examines the breast/thighs. I don't recall seeing the judge pick up a bird. The kids don't pick up their birds but I did once hear that some places do make the kids pick up their birds - it just depends on the judge. I'm hoping our kids never have to do that.

5. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    We've shown turkeys for years and every judge does it differently. I think the main thing are the numbers entered. The more entered the more the judge has to handle in inspect for defects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by