Anyone spin wool?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by itsy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I'm looking to get into this.... Anyone have any tips, sites or resources that they like to use? Any pics of what you've done?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I JUST started hand spinning with a drop spindle.

[​IMG]

It's super easy to use, the learning curve is only a couple hours. I am practicing with sheep and camel wool before I start spinning my own angora wool from my rabbits.

I am at a point where I can get a uniform yarn, but I would like it to be thinner than it is.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I knew I liked you! [​IMG]

I forgot about this section of BYC and then saw there was a whole thread already up dedicated to knitting/crochet and spinning!

You'll have to let me know where you got yer supplies....

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I bought the spindle and a HUGE bag of wool at a rabbit show for $25. You can find drop spindles just about anywhere. Most are hand carved too!!

5. littlepatchofheaven

littlepatchofheaven Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Your gonna love it! When i was first starting it was easier to rest my bottom whirl drop spindle right on the floor instead of letting it hang, otherwise my fiber would pull apart- now i can make yarn really easy with it and take it to craft shows to demonstrate! I also have an ashford traditional wheel- its awesome! [​IMG]

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    There is a 19 page thread on spinning. I started spindling in '98 and got my first wheel in 2002. There is not a day that goes by that I'm not fooling around with fiber in one way or another.

7. lyric

lyric Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Sunny FL
    Thanks Cyndi. I was just about to email and ask you about this. As always you come through like a shining star. I've given you guys props on our blog too! [​IMG]

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    Quote:Awwww, Thanks!!! You're the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by