Anyone still have Broody Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I was just wondering if anyone else out there still has Duck hens sitting on nests? Shakers babies started hatching today (bantam cochin eggs) and i plan to take Zima's last eggs away... i think it's not good anyway. This leaves me with KD sitting on her 10 precious eggs in her very first nest. i think she's only a week or two away from hatching though [​IMG] and she's done such a wonderful job so far!

PS.
    KD needs a new name.. her momma is Kahlua (KD = Kahluas Daughter, lol).. something liquor-inspired would be fitting considering her mommas name. [​IMG]

2. peachie

peachie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    [​IMG] i do but im in australia so its spring here lovely nice warm weather [​IMG] we have 4 ducks sitting and 3 chickens

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Do we still count Bleenie??? We may have longer daylight hours at the moment- but down here in Melbourne its been like winter again over the last week. Lots of rain and temps in the single figures at night. I have 2 broody ducks and one still thinking about it. I am looking forward to the mothers raising a few to ease the burden here inside the house. I have 21 here at the moment- so plan on slipping a few from the next hatch form the incubator under the mothers if they will take them. After hatching all through winter I am really enjoying being able to have them outside on the grass from a younger age now.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Of course you still count! It's been getting frosty here & the pools only froze once so far but we're supposed to have a Horrible winter this year. It looks like I should have all the girls off nests soon though, i just hate them getting all skinny trying to keep the eggs warm when it's so cold... especially the first time girl, she feels terrible right now [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have to admit- I do love seeing the photos of ducks and geese in the snow- as it never gets THAT cold over here where I live. I do have one photo of them after a hail storm that left the yard all white- but its not the same. I know how much work it was for me keeping my babies all dry and warm over winter and it must be so much more difficult in the states where snow piles up so high all winter long. Mine started laying just at the onset of winter -- but at least they have waited for now to go broody. Hope they are soon off the nest- and have time to gain back a bit of condition before winter sets in for good over there Bleenie.

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Bleenie,
    I just pulled 8 newly hatched babies this morning. I have them inside now, we are headed for first frost this weekend. This was my last duck that was on eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by