Anyone stock fish for their ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Niss, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Our ducks have a small (jump across in most spots, knee deep at most) steem and I'm thinking of trapping some minnows for them or buying feeder goldfish. Has anyone tried?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Be careful when feeding live food because it is a good possibility of spreading diseases if the fish are not from a reputable source.

3. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks, Hadn't thought of that.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good thoughts all around.

Last year I got some red comets (goldfish) and rosy red minnows, feeder fish, for the rain barrels. They got rid of mosquito larvae, as I had hoped. There was some mortality, but I ended the season with about a half dozen of each. They are living in buckets in the basement. I change their water regularly, feed them, and so forth, and plan to put them back in the rain barrels.

I have wondered about the disease concern, but do not know how to be sure, so I haven't given any to the ducks.

'Want to share, by the way, that the original minnows died but they apparently bred in the rain barrel and I have a second generation of minnows. The red comets are survivors from the original batch I purchased. For what it's worth.

5. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for sharing your experience! I don't have rain barrels, as we use a system funneling all our gutters into a cistern that is then filtered for household use, but I love the idea.

What I was leaning toward was making a minnow trap to get some from a friend's trout stream...it somehow seems 'cleaner' than using store bought--and cheaper too, which I like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by