Anyone taken their chickens into public places? petsmart?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BlakesFarm, Jun 29, 2011.

1. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    I was wondering if anyone has taken their chickens in to public places like petsmart or somewhere else. Would like to hear some stories. I was thinking about bringing one of my chickens into pets~mart for some crickets.

[​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Yes. On a walk with my dog 2 years ago as a dare from a Very Turkish Friend. Priceless [​IMG]
    ETA I did not use a chicken lead or any other means of chicken cruelty. The chicken got a free ride in a stroller. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yes, I've taken a couple of mine to PetSuperMarket before. I love the looks that I get!!! [​IMG] People ask all kinds of questions, and I tell them what wonderful pets chickens make, in the hopes to encourage more chicken lovers out there like us!! [​IMG]

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I'm glad someone asked, I thought maybe if I did, I'd be overstepping the boundaries of "crazy chicken lady" and become something else entirely. xD
    I keep wanting to take my rooster everywhere with me...he likes car rides and he's very well behaved...such the gentlemen.
    >_<
    Perhaps we will make a trip to the pet store. [​IMG]

5. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Had one that was feeling poorly one day and I didn't want to leave her alone, so I took her to my daughter's choir concert- she was a perfect angel in her little carrier!

6. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    I've taken Widget (silkie) with me to some places and have been asked what kind of bird is it after they realize I am not holding a dog. They try to convince them that she is a chicken. That's the hard part.

7. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Not sure what your local Petsmarts are like but ours is usually full of young people with large breed puppies so I would only preface that if your going out with your chicken to be very diligent because I would hate for someone to have an experience of a jumping lab or pit because you have your chicken in your arms. Dogs are so well accepted as pets to be out and about with but it seems anything other than that is the oddity.

8. ganesha09

ganesha09 Loves chicken feet!

Sep 18, 2010
    southern Illinois
    Great stories! Hope to hear more.......[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    What do people use to keep them in for the car ride?

10. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I've seen the stories too and it is very tempting [​IMG]
    I think if I did I'd want it in a diaper so it wouldn't poop on me or the floor (don't think the pet shop would like it), and a leash attached to it JUST IN CASE it got spooked for some reason and got out of my arms. I'd hate for it to freak out and run in front of a car in the carpark or have to chase it around the pet shop!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by