anyone that ships chicks that could answer some questions.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kennedyscochins, Dec 4, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Not sure where to post this, so I put it here. I am going to sell hatching chicks in the spring. I have read the rules and regulations but I know my small local post office will flip out when I bring in chicks to ship! So, I have a few questions and a few things that I need to know I'm doing right...

1. I have found the box to ship chicks but it does not have a filter. the rules I read said it does not have to have a filter as long as they are day old chicks. Is this correct?

2. I always calculate my postage at home (I have a scale) and print it out. How do I calculate postage for chicks? Do I just weigh them in the box and then calculate it as priority mail? Is there a surcharge for chicks. A postal worker told me there was a surcharge. But the rules I am reading says there is no special handling charge on day old poultry as long as they're shipped first class or priority. So, I am thinking there would not be a surcharge?

3. Anything special I need to know about dealing with the post office to ship chicks?

Thank you.

2. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Day old chicks don't have to be in a filtered box. I would contact your local post office and see what time they would prefer you drop them off... I would imagine they'd rather not listen to peeping chicks all day. There's a link in the BST area that has some of the particulars you need to have on the box https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=252067

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Have shipped a few thousand...right no filter for dayold...plus you can ship priority no surcharge unless they change that.....Make sure to have chicks hatch so you can ship Monday thru Wednesday....like its says dayold NOT 2 OR 3 DAY OLD. Find out what time the truck picks up.....I get mine there about an hour before. Oh make sure us box for # of chicks min 25 thats how they stay warm. # will change if bantam , turkey, peachicks, ducks, pheasants, and etc

4. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:So, do I just write the date and hour of hatching on the box with a marker?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I don't.....but if two old they will die in shipping.....

6. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:So, do I just write the date and hour of hatching on the box with a marker?

you are supposed to but it depends on the PO and if they are familiar with the policies

7. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I ship from a very small PO and I have to call them 24 hours in advance of shipping day-olds. The truck picks them up at noon - I don't take them to the PO until around 11:45AM - no need for them to sit in a PO all day if I can help it. The girl at my PO is awesome - she tracks them for me and calls me when they were picked up or delivered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by