Anyone thinking about Metzers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RiverOtter, Jan 25, 2011.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    I'd like to split an order with someone within an hours drive of 72565. All we want is a sexed pair of geese.

BTW, Yes, I do know that they will ship so few birds. I don't want to do that for 2 reasons.
    1- I feel that even with a heat pack, it's just not as safe. When they huddle they not only give each other warmth, but also stability as they brace against each other and I believe comfort as well. I want as stress-free a trip as can be managed. MY DD has been waiting a year for these geese!
    2- It's expensive. Instead of just the charge for the geese plus 1/2 shipping, there is a minimum order charge of $35, a small order charge of $12 and then full shipping, which brings a pair of goslings to 61.50 ... Ouch!

So if there is anyone near me who just wanted a few ducks or goslings and would like to split an order with me, please let me know.

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm in no way of need of more critters, but I can say that I have ordered from Metzers (pairs of ducklings) 5 times and all came safe and sound, with the heat pack and gro gel. I orders once in July, August, March (lived in alabama at the time), and December (while living in Chicago). The last time they were shipped with books as well, underneath them. The heat pack works very well, and adding gro gel is a must IMO. So if no one will split with you, just know they will be safe traveling alone, it'll just be a little expensive.

3. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Thanks for the info Nettie, I'll keep that in mind. I'd still really like to find someone else who wants a few - but it is a comfort to know that so few have made it so far just fine.

4. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    No one?

5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Your zip sounded like it might be close to mine, but I was wrong. It's about an eight hour drive!

You might ask on the sister boards. Especially Sufficient Self, but I'd ask on Backyard Herds and even The Easy Garden. There are folks there who don't get over here very often. I hope you can find someone to split with you. I'd help if I could.

Oh, I'd mention your general location in the thread title too. I actually thought maybe you were looking to find out if they were good to order from, since people so often ask opinions on things like that. Good luck to you and your DD. [​IMG]

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    i'd split one with you but i'm about 4hrs away. Plus i'm about tired of metzers service right at the moment. I have found 6 spelling and grammar errors and emailed them 10 days ago and then they had me re-send them monday, then today said i would have to provide the original emails or re-list the errors even know i had already re-sent everything. Its really getting to be a pain. I think they are just trying to get me to forget about it cause 6errorsx$20gift certificate =$120 gift certificate.

7. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Thanks, I will try the sister sites
    KK, I hope you get your gift certificate soon.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Have you thought about ordering extras and then selling them? That's what i (was going to) do. i just needed a couple of ducks as friends for my lone Cayuga, so i ordered 10, figuring i would pick the nicest few and sell the others. Well then, they were all so cute i kept them all. But if you weren't weak like me, this idea just might work.

9. RiverOtter

Nov 4, 2009
    Oxford, AR
    Oh we're weak! Just ask our 6 cats. Does anyone plan 6 cats?? No, they just walk on and stay....

The local market won't support much, either. I'd pay $5 or more per lovely, well bred, awesome quality duckling and if I was lucky sell it for about $2.50, same as any barnyard mutt. Or I could raise them up properly, with a large pen, time to free range, high $quality$ feed ... and get $4.
    Sigh.

We're heading down the the 4H office tomorrow and I'll put up a sign there. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by