Anyone tried hatching out a few duck or goose eggs under a Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CAjerseychick, Jul 27, 2013.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Songster

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Hey all, tried searching the Forums no luck--
    We have Jersey Giants and my biggest broody is close to 12 lbs, and I have been very interested in geese lately, and here in town there is a lady who will sell you fertile hatching eggs (I could get them in various stages of development to more closely approximate chicken incubation times)---
    And duck eggs are even easier to get around here....
    What do youall think? Has anyone tried it?....

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I haven't done it myself, but I know people have had success hatching duck eggs under broody hens. I'm not sure about purchasing started eggs though. A developing egg is more sensitive to environmental changes than an undeveloped, fertile one and big changes in temperature, humidity and incorrect handing could harm the embryo.

3. pair-a-dice

pair-a-dice Hatching

Jul 27, 2013
    I had a broody hen that took one of my duck egg on her own and she hatched it. Completely amazing.

4. menagerie acres

menagerie acres Hatching

Aug 15, 2013
    Yes, I have successfully hatched ducks (especially ducks!) and geese under a broody hen. They do a much better job than my electric incubators. They only thing I can't hatch under a broody hen is turkeys, but I think the problem lies more with my turkeys, as when they go broody they can't hatch their own, either.

5. The most amazing thing about hatching duck eggs under a hen is the hens reaction when the little ducklings take to the water like.... well like a duck. The hen may have a breakdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: