1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone tried the Chicken Coop Door - comes framed and ready?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nanaimochick, Dec 6, 2011.

1. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    I really like the look of the automatic door opener made by Chicken Coop Door - on sale now for $165.95 because it comes with the complete door (framed), motor, timer and it is a simple plug in to an extension cord. Has anyone purchased this model? The other motors I've seen are $99 so for the extra $70 it seems worth it to get the complete kit - mostly because I'm not much of a builder and really hate that stuff actually [​IMG]

http://www.chickencoopdoor.com/Products.html

Any comments or ideas????

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I would google automatic chicken doors or something like that and shop around. Me? I like letting my chickens out. Since most are in a pen I leave the door to the coop open on occassion. If you have the money go for it. I would seriously look and see if I couldn't make it myself. I bet it isn't that difficult. Compare making one to buying one and see how if it's worth the cost.

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    LOL - my first thought on seeing that was that it could double as a guillotine when you have a roast planned for dinner. [​IMG]

4. nanaimochick

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    Nonny - I'm hoping the chickens will be quick enough to miss the guillotine since it moves pretty slowly! That would NOT be good LOL!

CRJ - I have looked around quite a bit and seen ideas for making your own opener using a drapery motor (I guess these things exist!) - in the end the guy spent $120 on supplies and he didn't even want to mention his TIME! I do have my chickens in a pen so I guess leaving the pop door open is an option but it worries me, especially if I want to go away for a night.

I'll keep researching -- hoping to get more ideas and reviews... ANYONE ELSE?

5. nanaimochick

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    Just found out that the Customs Duty is around $80 -- what a burn... guess I'll need to find something else!

6. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:YES!! I LOVE OURS. We installed this same door about a year ago and love it. Even when it gets 30 below, still works.
    It's very easy to set up also
    Ayda

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I did it with the motor and all the parts were available as scrap - so my cost was the cost of the motor ($80) and a walmart timer. It's easy enough to make a door - if we can do it anyone can! [​IMG] (a computer programmer and a nurse, not builders!).. [​IMG]

8. nanaimochick

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    I'm so keen to set this up but now I must find a place in Canada to buy one. With the cost of the Border Duty it is not worth having this shipped. I'm trying to talk our feed store into ordering them and they are pretty interested.
    Question - can you open the door manually without reaching the motor/timer part???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by