Anyone tried this? Broken air cells in eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KsTornado11, May 1, 2009.

  1. KsTornado11

    KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

    262
    1
    151
    Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    On another board I read that if you go ahead & incubate eggs w/ seemingly broken air cells ( very common w/ shipped eggs) for 5 days or so WITHOUT TURNING THEM, they will develop OK. Anyone ever tried this w/ success?
     
  2. gabrielle1976

    gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

    5,561
    58
    281
    Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I havnt had a lot of luck with shipped eggs at all but I have had a couple hatch with detatched air cells I keep them in cut down cartons , then again I havent tried it not that way maybe I would get better results but you would think that if the air cell is moveing around if you keep it in the right spot it would work better.
     
  3. dancingbear

    dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

    2,836
    27
    191
    Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If you do a search o this section, for post about detached air cells, damaged air cells, bad air cells, etc., you find several threads it's being discussed on. I hope that helps, there's a lot on that posted. There's a lot of air cell damage in shipped eggs.

    I'm incubating 21 eggs with varying degrees of air cell damage, right now. Some ruptured, some misshapen, some also with cracked shells. I patched the cracks w/ candle wax. The eggs were left upright to incubate, big end up of course, in the turner but with the turner not plugged in. I decided not to use the auto turner, I don't want these damaged eggs in constant motion. I took out the turner, and put them in carton bottoms with additional air slots cut in the cups. I made sure they remained up right this whole time. I candled 10 of them on night 6, and 7 showed live embryos. I'm waiting a couple of extra days to candle the whole lot, but this gives me reason to be optimistic.

    I didn't turn them at all the first 6 days. I'm now tilting the 'bator a couple of times a day. I prop up one end a couple of inches. Then set it level again for awhile. Then prop the opposite end from the one that was propped before. It's not a lot of movement, but enough that the embryos will be exercised a little, and it should be enough to keep them from sticking to the sides of the shell. I think they need to move some, but not too much. The closer to hatch they get, the less fragile they should be.

    That's my theory, anyway. I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks!
     
    Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by