1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by txcarl1258, Sep 13, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that if you hold a chick upside down by the legs you can tell the sex? My mother told me that if you hold them upside down the hens will hang straight and the roos will flap up and try to correct themselves. I am actually tried this method at TSC on some straight run bantams. Out of 5 "hens" I got three hens and two roos! [​IMG] I never believed this and still do not, but my mom swears by it! [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm, you will probably get a 50/50 sex .... I don't think it really works .. but that's just me! [​IMG]

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I tried it on some older chicks I already knew the sexes of, and it was not accurate. I actually found that a lot of the roosters would just sit there and let me do whatever, while the ones that fought the worst were mainly bantam pullets. But they were really all over the place as far as reactions.

4. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Glad to know I am not crazy and not the only one who has tried this. The one time I tried this method with my mother it worked! I bought some EE chicks from a farmer's market and low and behold I got three pullets. She is still convinced it works, but I know it does not. Has anyone taught themselves to vent sex chicks? I would like to learn and wonder if anyone has tried it.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    IMO there is nothing to it.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think that if you hang day old chicks upside down you will be right about their sex in about 50% of cases!

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by