Anyone tried this?

txcarl1258

Songster
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Pleasanton
Has anyone ever heard of the old wives tale that if you hold a chick upside down by the legs you can tell the sex? My mother told me that if you hold them upside down the hens will hang straight and the roos will flap up and try to correct themselves. I am actually tried this method at TSC on some straight run bantams. Out of 5 "hens" I got three hens and two roos!
hmm.png
I never believed this and still do not, but my mom swears by it!
lol.png

I tried it on some older chicks I already knew the sexes of, and it was not accurate. I actually found that a lot of the roosters would just sit there and let me do whatever, while the ones that fought the worst were mainly bantam pullets. But they were really all over the place as far as reactions.

Glad to know I am not crazy and not the only one who has tried this. The one time I tried this method with my mother it worked! I bought some EE chicks from a farmer's market and low and behold I got three pullets. She is still convinced it works, but I know it does not. Has anyone taught themselves to vent sex chicks? I would like to learn and wonder if anyone has tried it.

I think that if you hang day old chicks upside down you will be right about their sex in about 50% of cases!

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom