Anyone tried using mountain lion urine packs to keep preds away?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by goldeneggtees, Sep 22, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    mountain lion urine packs sprinkled around coop, I'm curious if it works. Anyone tried it?

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I've never tried it. I prefer the "boomstick"! [​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Shop Smart, Shop S - mart

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Here's something I don't understand... People can kill mountain lions, right? Sure we can, because we created blades and spears and arrows and rifles and shotguns and grenades and helicopter gunships and submarines and nuclear warheads.. We are, without a doubt, the baddest predator on the face of the planet -- because we're SMART.

So how is it that with all those accomplishments and all this brainpower, we can still be enticed to fork over good money in exchange for the pee of an animal that's actually lower on the food chain than ourselves as a means to ward off other predators?

Shouldn't we just pee on stuff ourselves? It would, at the very least, be cheaper..

If a mountain lion were online right now looking for some predator pee to keep things out of his chickens, wouldn't he be looking for HUMAN pee? I mean, what's more fearsome than a human to a mountain lion?

I pee on the posts in our barn all the time, and our big LGD invariably comes behind me and marks everything again. I figure between me and him, anything sniffing that post couldn't help but think HOLY BEJEBUS, WHAT LIVES HERE?!? and hightail it the other way.

If it didn't, I can't really imagine it would react differently if it were mountain lion pee.. Actually, we don't even have mountain lions here, so how would it even know what that was!?!?

I dunno.. I'm just sayin.' [​IMG]

5. mmwb

mmwb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I've posted it before, and will again. Urine tends to be a universal attractant to almost all animals. I've yet to find any research that backs up the premise that it is a deterrent.

6. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma

i was waiting for someone to say that!
    [​IMG]

7. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Quote:I don't know, I wizz all around the chicken coop and it doesn't stop any predators from showing up.

I must not be that intimidating without my boomsticks!!!

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA

I love the evil dead trilogy! Good pickup boyd!

9. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    What does that mean? Shop Smart, Shop S - mart. I must be dense![​IMG] I know my dog pees and my kids pee and my hubby pees back there by the coop but it probably won't stop any preds who may try their luck with our chickens. And there aren't any mountain lions 'round these parts either. The original reason why I asked this question is because of this post on Craigslist…

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/grd/1386364731.html

10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I wouldn't bet the mortgage on that. I have a photo of a mountain lion hauling off a four point deer which was taken recently along the southern Georgia/Alabama border. It was certainly bigger than a typical Florida panther. A few months ago, a wild black bear had to be captured in the middle of a good sized town a few miles from here. I live in far south Georgia. 10 years ago the officials said there were no coyotes here, but many of us had seen them, and now they are undeniable. Our officials seem to have a habit of denying the presence of troublesome creatures. Guess if you deny they are there, you don't have to figure out how to deal with them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by