Anyone try Mini Mealworms (Tenebrio Obscurus) yet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by anklebiter, Nov 28, 2011.

1. anklebiter

anklebiter Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Park Hills, MO
    These are relatively new on the market, well 90's actually so not really new - just not as popular yet. The company that brings these to the States and breeds them here is pretty secretive about breeding info. All i've found so far is a couple of YouTube videos and threads in reptile forums about people who have been experimenting with them.

Apparently they're another tropical species, like superworms, so don't refrigerate them. On the plus side, the supposedly pupate easily with temps in the mid to upper 80's and eat the same grains/veggies as mealworms. They have a slightly shorter lifespan, but supposedly lay more eggs than regulars. They also seem to be much more active than regular mealworms.

I don't know about cannabilism or how hard they are to raise, one guy on a gecko forum said he treated them exactly like mealworms, but kept them a little warmer. The beetles died and a month later he had hundreds of tiny minis.

I use mealworms primarily to feed my Oscars, but some do go to the birds. These might be a viable alternative to mealies for younger birds/chicks.

Here's a picture of them that I found online.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Okay, you got me! Had to go see what they're all about. I found this video showing the difference between the 2 mealworms. Boy are the mini worms ACTIVE!!! I don't think I'd want to raise them cause they are FAST!

http://www.minimealworms.com/VideoGallery.php

Sure makes sense if you have reptiles that need the movement.... You gonna try raising them?

3. anklebiter

anklebiter Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Park Hills, MO
    Quote:I'm kicking the idea around. Currently i'm searching for the lowest price on them and doing a little more research.
    If I do, i'll report back and document/photograph as I go.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I have some accidental experience with them. Early last summer I first noticed them turn up in my large colony of T. molitor (which I keep on my back patio). A couple months later they showed up in my smaller 10 gal. colony, which sits right next to the large colony, but has a lid with smaller openings. This suggests that their dispersal abilities are far superior T. molitor and might require extra precautions at containing them. At first I didn't pay them too much attention as my colonies occasionally get the odd immigrant beetle and they typically persist in low numbers before disappearing or stabilizing at low numbers. But then they seemed to be out competing the T. molitor and I think they may have had a more direct negative impact on them- perhaps even eating pupae. The typical summer population explosion I see in T. molitor was significantly diminished. They do move wickedly fast and their reproduction seems to follow pace. Earlier this month I ended up pulling out all of the T. molitor from both colonies and starting fresh. I've decided that I either have to put better screens over the colonies or keep them indoors. I think they would be worth raising, provided you could keep them contained. I would note that the chickens had a fantastic time scratching through the remains of the colonies and eating the T. obscurus.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by