Anyone try this for unwanted broodys?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2overeasy000, Jul 28, 2011.

1. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kicking them out of the coop for awhile. Here's my BO and White Leghorn that just started laying again weeks ago after both being broody. And now they both stopped laying again and are trying to sit in the nesting boxes all day, so I kicked em out. Anyone have success with this method?

2. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have a chronic broody that I have tried everything with.
    Bare wire cage with no bedding.
    Cooling dunks in the water trough.
    Exile from the coop.
    Nothing works.
    She just stays broody for about 3 weeks.
    And nasty PMS mood added to it.
    She doesn't quit until she's ready.
    I would get her some fertile eggs (we have no rooster), but it is always bad timing.
    Either too cold or there are chicks in the extra pen or something.
    The people we got her from said she is a great little mom but we just haven't been able to time it right.
    She just finished her broodiness 2 days ago and our pullets(14 week sold) will move out of the extra pen today.
    GEESH! Just bad timing I guess.

3. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I had a silver penciled BR go broody on me 2 months ago... we would have let her hatch some but she was a very nasty tempered bird to begin with (every other chicken we owned would let us pick them up or at least pet them, not her- she pecked everyone...she was worse than any roo)... after she went broody, woo! We tried every suggestion on here. We had to pry her off the nest daily with a stick. We posted ads to see if anyone needed a broody girl but almost nobody around us has chickens. The one solution left, the chopping block, which i was all too happy to do.

Not suggesting that...just relating with a story.

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I also have tried all the suggestions on here, but sometimes they will just do the broody thing until they are ready to stop. Ususally when I have locked my broody girls out of the coop, they just pace around and cluck in a really pitiful way. I do it for a while though,if I am sure all the eggs have been laid for the day. At least it gets them out and about.

5. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    And nasty PMS mood added to it.

Haha. She struts around like a Tom turkey. I can't help but laugh.

6. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    Quote:My BR is the only one that hates to be handled and pecks at us too. I'm glad she's not our broody problem. At least the BO just lets me pick her up and put her outside. And believe me, I've been threatening her by calling her potpie all day.

7. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    they just pace around and cluck in a really pitiful way.

I can hear'em right now.

8. acw123

acw123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    I have a Buff Orp that I believe is broody. She just sits in the nesting box and there are no eggs under her but she won't budge. I have tried the water dunks, she just stands there. I have removed her from the nest and put her outside the coop and she eventually makes her way back. I put her in with the teenagers for the day and once let out she went right back. I should say the worst she does is puff up and squeak a bit at me when I go to her but she is very docile and lets me pick her up without any pecking. So does it sound like a broody??

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Oh my goodness that white leghorn looks angry [​IMG]

10. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Quote:Matilda had no idea how close she came to "kissing the axe".
    I am a very patient, self confessed "chicken enabler" BUT even I have my limits.
    She's just lucky that she quit being broody before it came to that.
    If her PMS is that bad I wonder what she'll be like when she goes through "henopause". LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by