Anyone use a baby monitor to listen to their birds?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gallusdomesticus, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    My wife thinks I'm a little psychotic to put a baby monitor in the coop so I can monitor the girls at night in case a predator tries getting in the hen house. Am I the only one 'psychotic' enough to do this? I be interested if there is anyone else out there that monitors their chickens this way.

2. Destinee's Dozen

Destinee's Dozen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    Bell, Florida
    We have a baby monitor in ours too!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't use one, but I've considered it!! [​IMG] We did install a motion light right above the area where the run is attached to the coop though....lol. It makes me feel much more secure!

4. Jonathanq1

Jonathanq1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Delaware
    I have also considered this as well for now all I have is a motion light, but I think it's a great idea

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    gallusdomesticus wrote: My wife thinks I'm a little psychotic to put a baby monitor in the coop so I can monitor the girls at night in case a predator tries getting in the hen house.

I would think it wise to defer clinical judgment unless you start to receive instructions over the monitor from `satan' in the coop, at which time firing away with the Haldol and Cogentin would be indicated.

As it is, if one is awake and at home, a monitor is very useful diagnostic tool for indicating when to go dose the raccoons, etc. with lead.

We've been using a $20.00 Safety First monitor for the past five years. The girls growl/whine, roo gives out with soft barks - time to grab the spotlight and rifle. Monitor is also useful for catching any unusual respiratory issues early (wheezing, sneezing, gurgling...).

Takes a couple of weeks to identify all the `normal' roosting vocabulary (they don't sleep all night - they jockey and growl at one another - they preen, etc.). After a bit it is very easy to identify the unusual.

Probably the most interesting vocalizations we've heard are the chooks `chortling' in unison just before it starts to rain (something about their jungle origin?).​

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Really neat info, Ivan [​IMG]

7. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    I agree with bocomo!

8. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Two days in a row they knew something was out there! They made that purring ,cooing sound that tells me, time to roll. Sure 'nough once a great horned owl and once a smaller unidentified as yet hawk. They really don't want to mess with these chicks! SORRY i forgot to mention that I was eves dropping.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. 8wishbonechicks

8wishbonechicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Hey! We have an old baby monitor. We have a privacy fence around our property then a wired fence around the coop. I know this doesn't stop predators from digging under the fence, so the monitor sounds like a good idea. My husband mentioned of an electric fence on the outside of our privacy fence, so our girls are safe on the inside. I like finding good info in these forums, thank you everyone.

10. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Who doesn't use a monitor?? Another crazy chicken psycho here [​IMG] They make so many cute sounds all night. I do wake up and turn it off about 5 AM every morning 'cause that's when it starts getting alittle loud out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by