ANYONE USE A COOKIE TIN WATER HEATER?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fawn and Fam, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    I just got done making mine (using "the chicken chick's" directions calling for a 40 watt incandescent bulb and 10" tin) but it is way too hot. It said it would be warm to the touch but mine is hot to the touch. I have plastic waterers which I'm sure it would melt, though I see plastic waterers in the pictures. Also I'm very concerned about fire w/ how hot it is. I need to use it in the morning as temps are going to be in the low 20's all day long for the next couple days. Any advice?

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Mine got screaming hot also, I scratched the idea and went with something else, I would put it up on a cement block to keep it out of any bedding on top of the tin try a clay saucer under the waterer I will cool it down a bit so it won't melt it.

3. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks, I did have it up on a cement block but the saucer is a great idea. I'm just bummed because I wasted $20 on two of them (and the time making them) & I don't understand why it is too hot when others say it is just warm to the touch?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Can you use a lower watt bulb?

Not sure what you built but what happens if the bulb breaks? I've had bulbs literally blow, would that put your electrical part in contact with your water part?

5. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Yes a lower wattage bulb is worth a try, if the bulb breaks it's no big deal because it is inside the cookie tin. I switched to a 5 gallon bucket with nipples and
    astock tank heater It works great with a built-in thermostat, a few mornings it's been 12 degrees and the water dripped out perfectly.

6. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    I did try a 25 watt bulb but it's not quite warm enough, the water is icy though not solid- it's better than nothing. I need to come up w/ another option and asap.

7. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I built mine with a 12" tin, and I use a 40W bulb. It gets pretty warm, but I can still leave my hand on it. It's not blazing hot. Do you think a 2" difference in diameter makes that much difference? How tall is your tin? I think mine is about 31/2" deep. How about cutting a plywood disc and wrapping it in tin foil, as a heat sink between the waterer and the heater. That would soak up some heat and should keep the water fount defrosted.

8. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Mine is 10" (which is what the directions called for) and 3" deep (which it didn't say how deep it should be). I'm guessing the size must be making the difference, I don't know. The wood disc w/ foil is a good idea as long as they wouldn't peck at it being all shiny :) I would really like to figure out how to make these work to where it doesn't freeze and yet is not too dangerously hot. I'm going to look to see if I have a bigger tin [​IMG]

9. meledwards

meledwards Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Winthrop, Maine
    I couldn't find a 10" tin, but used a taller 8" one and mine works great! We had freezing temps here today and the water dish didn't freeze. I am very happy with it. We purchased an expensive heated waterer for our girls, but was not happy at all with the awkwardness of filling it and poor design. This $10 investment works SO much better! Highly recommend the cookie tin waterer! I do have mine up on bricks, but it isn't hot to the touch. Just warm. It's doing what it is intended to do!

10. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a popcorn tin it's a lot taller with a 40-60w bulb the tin is barely warm to the touch and I have a plastic 1 gallon waterer, no problems for 2 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by