1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Anyone use a draipery motor for an automatic door,

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by burntmuch, May 23, 2010.

1. burntmuch

burntmuch In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Montrose MI
    Once my chickens figure out that they need to go in the coop when it gets dark. They ,re 7 weeks old. I would like to try an automatic door. My door slides up & down. So wondering if anyone has any experience with a draipery motor on a timer to pull it up & down.

2. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:thats a great idea.. however the timer pay pose a problem when it comes to the time change.... and also the fact that I can go and do a head count at the end of the night is good too because i would hate for someone to be missing for a week before i noticed

3. Doopy

Doopy Songster

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Hi burntmuch - do a search on this site and you will find tons of information on automatic coop doors. Also you can see lots of inventions on YouTube. Some are very nice.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We used a drapery motor for our auto. door; works great with a digital timer. PM me if you have specific questions.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: