Anyone use a filter for their duck's swim water??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rex Mom, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Hello All~

As stated in another posting.. I am in the planning stages for my duck enclosure. Because I live in an urban/suburban area I don't have the luxury of dumping out a kiddie pool of dirty water into my backyard everyday. I want to be able to accomodate their love of swimming so was wondering if anyone has info on a filter system for their swimming area?

Thank you in advance!

Susan

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wifezilla is someone who has done quite a bit of homework on this topic. She has recommended looking into Skippy Filters (if I recall correctly). That may be an option for you. Do you have any garden area that could take some of the enriched water?

3. Rex Mom

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Amiga~

Yes I do have a compost pile that I could water down with it. But long term I wanted to see if there was an alternative. Thank you! I will look up the Skippy Filters.

Susan

4. HottentotTeal

HottentotTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    I recently set up a filter and pump for my pond that i bought from Home Depot. The problem is it doesn't seem to catch large particles and by large, i mean anything larger than sand grains, because i get a lot of sand at the bottom.

I think a big part of it is that there isn't a good way for me to circulate the water enough to get to the filter.

I also don't run it all day which of course factors in.

If you set one up with a pool type vacuum to go with it or just use it manually, it might help, but i still plan to dump my water out weekly.

I try to stir it up by using a pool net every few days, but should probably stir it up daily or more than once a day. I think that would probably help in my case.

The water is fairly clear though.

I will probably take a pic tomorrow and post in my thread so i can compare how well it's worked for the past week.

5. Rex Mom

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    I checked out the Skippy Filter.. WOW... they have a Mini Me version that filters up to 750 gal and the kit is very reasonably priced. The beauty of it is.. it's a bio filter so you never clean it. How cool is that!! I am going to email them and ask how it does for a backyard duck pond. Thank's so much for the suggestion!!!!!

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by