Anyone use a Lyon Reptilife RL1 reptile incubator for hatching chicks?

I'd jump on it in a heart beat. That company makes the turn-x models and I have had 100% hatches in the one I had. IMO one of the beat incubators made. If the temp will got up to 99.5 I don't think you will need to do anything. I do know they are expensive incubators. That model is over $500 new. I would ask them if they would take $150 first but don't let it get away

Oh man I saw this the other day too! I want it bad but can't spare the $200 after the ridiculous boarding/lessons/show coaching bill I just paid for my horse. Please buy it... And let us know how it works!!!

OK, I offered 150, will let you know if they bite.
smile.png

I've been looking at this for a couple weeks now
wink.png

Last edited:
He gave it to me for 150, I turned it on and fiddled with the dials, it appears to be holding a steady 99 degrees now. I'm going to have to work something out to get humidity in there, but so far so good. We'll see if it's still holding steady after work.

smile.png

IMG_1520.JPG

I took the bottom tray out, I figure I"ll put some rubber mat down there and use the top tray to hold a tray of water with a sponge or two in it for the humidity. I already have an incubator with turner to use to set the eggs, I'll be using this for a hatcher and I think it will work great. It's so easy to clean out.

Did I mention that I LOVE that it's clear.

Is is acrylic or glass? I am really glad you got it. Looks really nice, and the clear part is really cool as well. I can't wait to see posts about the hatches you get in it. Maybe a few more BYC members will be interested in buying one of those.

It's plexiglass. One issue there may be is that it doesn't seem all that well insulated. I think since it's for reptiles and really only designed to be about 80 degrees in there they skimped on the thickness of the plexiglass. My DW has offered to sew a nice hatcher cozy for it though so maybe we'll put a nice coat on it.
wink.png

It might be a little while before I can use it to hatch as it's getting late in the year. ....maybe we'll do another hatch or two in the fall though
hide.gif
{don't tell my DW}!

Yeah. That's about the same problem with my top hatch. I had to make an insulation blanket for it. I bet if you made the blanket to cover all the sides, but one, you could still get the enjoyment of watching them hatch through one side of the incubator.

I figure I"ll make some flaps to peek in or a way to lift it to get some good views. If nothign else, I'll be able to get a web cam setup on there under the blanket so as to watch the fun. The only tricky part will be to make the right size & location of holes in it so it can still breathe.

Maybe a neoprene sheath would be the best, I wonder if I can find some sheets of neoprene... maybe an old wet suit. ... back to craigslist with me HAHA

Back
Top Bottom