Anyone use a Snugglesafe pad?

barbieszoo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Stillwater, OK
I am trying to figure out how best to keep two 8 wk old (in Dec. when I get them) silkies warm and cozy in the little rabbit hutch/coop/run I have for them. It is out of the wind, has cardboard for insulation, as well as newspaper and shavings on the floor. I am afraid a heat lamp would be dangerous and too much, and any electricity scares me a bit, but I really worry because there will only be two of them, and so young, plus right in the middle of winter. Has anyone used a Snugglesafe heating pad in a small coop, and if so, did it keep the chickies comfortably warm? (Snugglesafe is a microwaveable pad with gel in it that keeps warm up to 12 hours) They look really great. How did you use it? Under shavings? If I need to bring the chickens inside in a dog crate at night I can, but would like to have a safe warming source outside for them if possible.
Thanks for any advice,
Kristy

Where are you located? I would think in my part of the country (midwest) I would need to keep them in the house for at least a few more weeks until they are fully feathered out. Not sure the heat pad thingy would warm anything but their bottoms ;-)

Sharol

Quote:

I'm in Oklahoma, so almost as cold as KS. I totally wouldn't mind having them inside at night and on super cold days this first winter, but don't want to make them so unaccustomed to the cold that they can't be outside at all..... I think the pad is supposed to give off heat that would help warm the small coop some too, but I don't know enough about it.

I use a snuggle safe heat pad , I wrap it in newspaper so that it doesn't get too dirty then I put the shavings on top so that they don't peck off the newspaper then in the morning I bin the newspaper ( its all pooey in the morning )

Back
Top Bottom